Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello,

i was wondering whether anyone here as a current undergraduate/someone who was an undergraduate had their own place.
    Ive seen a few posts where people are complaining with issues in halls and it seems really
    Can one get an on-suite with maybe 4/5 other people living in the smae place but JUST sharing the kitchen...in their ungraduate year?

ReputationRep:
    Well.. Yeah.

People generally live in privately rented accommodation in their 2nd and 3rd years. If you mean for your first year, I don't see why not. However, you may struggle to find people who are willing to live with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Well.. Yeah.

People generally live in privately rented accommodation in their 2nd and 3rd years. If you mean for your first year, I don't see why not. However, you may struggle to find people who are willing to live with you.
    thats a point!
    did you live in halls or did you go for having your own place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream123)
    thats a point!
    did you live in halls or did you go for having your own place?
    I'm in a 5 person student house on campus.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a 5 person student house on campus.
    you preffered this over halls because...?
    sorry with all the questions, I just like hearing peoples opinions!

ReputationRep:
    you preffered this over halls because...?
    sorry with all the questions, I just like hearing peoples opinions!
    It was the cheapest option and so much quieter.

The down-side is, all 4 of my housemates are French and pretty much ignore me.

Actually, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    It was the cheapest option and so much quieter.

The down-side is, all 4 of my housemates are French and pretty much ignore me.

Actually, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing.
    what ive read with people having problems in halls, I would class it as a blessing.
    i take you didnt choose your housemates?
    is it cheaper than halls, and who at your uni did you ask?

ReputationRep:
    what ive read with people having problems in halls, I would class it as a blessing.
    i take you didnt choose your housemates?
    Well, when I visit my friends in halls they get people screaming and running up and down all the time. I'm glad where I live is just silent and empty usually.

Nope, I didn't choose my housemates, we were dumped all together by student hospitality.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think people only have a problem in halls if they choose to. A new environment is strange for everyone, you've just got grin and bear it, and make the most of it rather than complain about every little thing. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well, when I visit my friends in halls they get people screaming and running up and down all the time. I'm glad where I live is just silent and empty usually.

Nope, I didn't choose my housemates, we were dumped all together by student hospitality.
    you forgot to mention who you asked at uni to get the place you have, is it student accomodation office? and when did you apply for accomadation?
    ((argh, i cant spell today!!!!! :mad: ))

ReputationRep:
    Can one get an on-suite with maybe 4/5 other people living in the same place but JUST sharing the kitchen...in their ungraduate year?
    It depends on what specific universities offer, or whether you are able to find an en-suite room in a privately rented flat. Most universities offer self catered student houses/flats - and I'm sure there are plenty that have the option of en-suite. Take a look at accommodation when you're going to open days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I think people only have a problem in halls if they choose to. A new environment is strange for everyone, you've just got grin and bear it, and make the most of it rather than complain about every little thing. :p:
    ive noticed in the posts that its not usually the OP that has the problem, its usually the housemates. petty things like thats my place and thats yours.
    to be honest, id rather dodge all of that and have my own place. Im also very particular when it comes to cleanliness so i think people might find ME OCD...Im not, its just im sure others might. :yep: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember though, that it's generally only the bad exceptions you hear about on here. People don't generally start threads saying how well they get on with their housemates, how clean the kitchen is etc!

I lived in halls in my first year (sharing kitchen and bathrooms with 21 others), and again this year (same but 10 of us). Both times I've had no problems at all with my flatmates, still keep in contact with the ones I no longer live with etc. You get some noise and a bit of mess, but that's the same anywhere!

Of course the majority of unis will have some halls with ensuite bathrooms, so that might be a fair compromise. These do usually cost more/can be in higher demand though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a flat on my own at the moment, and I'm only in my first year. Rent is about half of what I'd be paying in halls, so I'm well chuffed. It's much closer to the uni than most of the halls, too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a three person flat in a halls-like property, ensuite, we share the kitchen (has a couple of sofas in there too though).

It's perfect; but mostly because my flatmates are awesome in the sense that they're not off their heads on the excitement of not living under their parents' roof anymore! Plus they're third years, both really nice

ReputationRep:
    I'll be living on my own next year.
    Its going to be expensive, but i need 2 do it!!

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.