17chloe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
y13s do you think the grade boundaries that your school used to generate grades would be lower, higher, or exactly the same as the nov 2020 grade boundaries??
and for people who ended up receiving their raw marks/percentages for the evidence that was submitted to the exam boards, would you say you and the people in your school ‘fit’ the grade boundaries/distribution or not??
its two weeks til results day and im so so scared lol
in one of my subjects i’ve met the percentage for an A according to all previous past grade boundaries but idk if id say that the difficulty of the papers we were given was alike to the national papers,, so would the grade boundaries be different?? i mean, surely my chem teacher wouldnt go out of his way to give us higher grade boundaries and hence bad grades….
agatawojcik
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My school have said that they are required to use grade descriptors in order to determine the grades that we will be receiving rather than any past grade boundaries. So grade boundaries for this year could be very different from previous years, just depending on the difficulty of the exams you did sit this year.
agatawojcik
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by agatawojcik)
My school have said that they are required to use grade descriptors in order to determine the grades that we will be receiving rather than any past grade boundaries. So grade boundaries for this year could be very different from previous years, just depending on the difficulty of the exams you did sit this year.
also the people at my school wont fit the national grade distribution at all since it's a grammar school and they expect slightly higher grades eitherway, and we've been assured that the situation from last year won't be repeating itself and everyone will get the grade they showed that they deserve.
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The grade boundaries will depend is the assessments were easier harder or the same.

I was given easier assessments in maths so higher grade boundaries (an A was 80% instead of 55%), some people felt robbed by the teacher but overall the distribution seemed normal. I would say look at the normal distribution for chemistry at your school (eg from 2018/2019) see how many people normally get A/A* in chemistry and think would you be in that group.

Teachers don’t want to give bad grades but at the same time they can’t give unrealistically high grades either so they have to adjust the grade boundaries accordingly.
yippy-yikes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh I don't even know at this point. I'm just bracing myself that I haven't got the grades until the day - so if I haven't actually got the grades, I won't be as disappointed
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yippy-yikes)
Oh I don't even know at this point. I'm just bracing myself that I haven't got the grades until the day - so if I haven't actually got the grades, I won't be as disappointed
I’m sure it’ll be fine, I’ve been hoping for the best but planning for the worst which has worked really well as I have a set plan for results day so I know I’ll be happy whatever happens. I’ve even switched my insurance choice and travelled almost 500 miles round the south-east looking at universities I’ll be interested in in clearing.
SB1234567890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by agatawojcik)
Yeah same as our papers were made up of questions from multiple different past papers though when we were shown the grade descriptors they seemed very vague and so preventing complete objectivity
Last edited by SB1234567890; 1 month ago
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 17chloe)
y13s do you think the grade boundaries that your school used to generate grades would be lower, higher, or exactly the same as the nov 2020 grade boundaries??
and for people who ended up receiving their raw marks/percentages for the evidence that was submitted to the exam boards, would you say you and the people in your school ‘fit’ the grade boundaries/distribution or not??
its two weeks til results day and im so so scared lol
in one of my subjects i’ve met the percentage for an A according to all previous past grade boundaries but idk if id say that the difficulty of the papers we were given was alike to the national papers,, so would the grade boundaries be different?? i mean, surely my chem teacher wouldnt go out of his way to give us higher grade boundaries and hence bad grades….
My school used full exam papers to assess us, Maths was all 3 papers for our mocks in April & then in our mock in May. For physics, they are using the mocks we did across the course of year 13 + the additional assessment material that was released by the exam boards. So I guess they will probs use the 2019 boundaries (someone told me schools were advised not to use the 2020 boundaries, dk if its true tho).

I dont think they will just use grade boundaries alone, they will probs also use the grade descriptors to see if a student is secure on that grade (like for example, if a student just scrapes the grade boundary or is quite close).

I was given no percentages or raw marks for the assessments that were used, instead, on results day alongside our grades, we will get a mark breakdown for each assessment that was used to generate our final grade.

If they gave us percentages then I would have been able to roughly estimate what grade I got on each assessment but for the overall grade I would not know as more weighting was given to the assessments we did throughout Term 5
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads