iain.stewart
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello there,

So, I have just graduated with 2:1 Biomedical Sciences with science communications honours from UoD. Although my honours project was a sci comms project, I am desperately looking for a position in a laboratory where I can build on my experience and career in the biomedical sphere.

As far as my CV goes I have quite a lot of things on there but nothing that is laboratory relevant other than my hard work in my modules of the first 3 years.

Any help or advice would be really welcome. I'd also like to mention that I am in Scotland but I'll be happy to work UK wide for a good role.

Thank you so much,

Iain
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You need to be more specific. There are a variety of types of laboratory.
iain.stewart
Rep:
?
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
You need to be more specific. There are a variety of types of laboratory.
I appreciate your reply, thank you! So I am looking ideally for clinical laboratories, such as hospital settings. I have a strong biomedical/physiological and neuroscience background so anything that can complement this and perhaps gain me some contact with patients as well would be ideal. Thank you for sharing any insights.
jkng
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iain.stewart)
I appreciate your reply, thank you! So I am looking ideally for clinical laboratories, such as hospital settings. I have a strong biomedical/physiological and neuroscience background so anything that can complement this and perhaps gain me some contact with patients as well would be ideal. Thank you for sharing any insights.
is your course IBMS accredited?
iain.stewart
Rep:
?
(Original post by jkng)
is your course IBMS accredited?
Hi there,

No, unfortunately it is not. And I am in the process of getting in touch with them to try and seek top-up modules etc to get the necessary validation for IBMS.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only clinical laboratory experience you're going to get is initially as a Medical Laboratory Assistant, and then you'll be able to progress to an Associate Practitioner. Once you have the laboratory experience, if you do manage to get the IBMS to grant accreditation (or complete top-up modules) then you'll be able to seek registration with the HCPC as a Biomedical Scientist via a Trainee job.
jkng
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

No, unfortunately it is not. And I am in the process of getting in touch with them to try and seek top-up modules etc to get the necessary validation for IBM
(Original post by RegisteredBMS)
The only clinical laboratory experience you're going to get is initially as a Medical Laboratory Assistant, and then you'll be able to progress to an Associate Practitioner. Once you have the laboratory experience, if you do manage to get the IBMS to grant accreditation (or complete top-up modules) then you'll be able to seek registration with the HCPC as a Biomedical Scientist via a Trainee job.
agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads