Isit ok if I choose medicine in university but do research instead of being a doctor?

Watch
Dorona
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to work in a pharmaceutical company but I found it hard to get work experience for pharmacy instead of medicine, so can I apply for medicine but not become a doctor?
ChemGirl95
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Dorona)
I want to work in a pharmaceutical company but I found it hard to get work experience for pharmacy instead of medicine, so can I apply for medicine but not become a doctor?
If you want to work in the pharmaceutical industry you don’t have to study Pharmacy. There are lots of other degrees which feed into a career in the pharmaceutical industry including medicinal chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmaceutical sciences and many more. Medicine is incredibly competitive so if its not really what you want to do, you should consider an alternative degree which will better prepare you for a career in research
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Theoretically you could, but it would be a bit pointless. Also as above you don't need to do a pharmacy degree to work in the pharma industry - a bioscience or chemistry oriented degree, such as pharmacology or pharmaceutical sciences (if not something like chemistry or biochemistry or biomedical sciences) would be more relevant and suitable for going into research (academic or industrial). The aforementioned suggestion of chemical engineering is also very applicable for industry work. None of those degrees require any work experience to apply to.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A medical degree is unnecessary for work in the pharmaceutical industry. If, however, you want to do medical research after a medical degree it is a perfectly valid career choice, especially if you wanted to go into academic medicine or become a clinical academic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.96%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.3%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.51%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.01%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.98%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.36%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.87%

Watched Threads