The Student Room Group

Drama Teacher vs Media Teacher (2021)

I am not sure whether I should get a English with Media PGCE or English with Drama PGCE.

Should I become a secondary/sixth form Drama teacher or Media Studies Teacher?
Original post by emek4official
I am not sure whether I should get a English with Media PGCE or English with Drama PGCE.

In many English schools drama is taught at KS3 (year 7, 8 and often 9), but media isn't. Whereas media is a more popular subject at KS4 with various qualifications on offer, whereas some schools no longer offer Drama at KS4 (sadly). So I would suggest it would depend on whether you think you'd prefer to teach KS3 or KS4. Choosing drama, chances are you will have more KS3 classes, whereas with Media you may be given more KS4.

Teaching drama and teaching media will be very different. I think you should chose on the basis of which you would rather teach?

When are you looking to apply?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Teaching drama and teaching media will be very different. I think you should chose on the basis of which you would rather teach?

When are you looking to apply?

I am still in sixth form so in about 5 years.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry then. I'm assuming you're going for an English lit degree? You can work out the rest of it later!

Hello!

You definitely don't need to worry about this yet. When I was in year 12, I hadn't even considered teaching and now I am going into my final year of Primary Education and love it.
You have so much time to find out which interests you the most.

Why don't you take some courses or join some clubs that are centered around media and drama? If you can find a real passion for one of them, your teaching will be so natural and much easier. For example you could take a short photography course or join a local production of a show! Have some fun without worrying about deciding straight away.

Both will be needed in schools and if you can demonstrate a passion for your subject, that will help you significantly when applying for your PGCE and eventually teaching posts!

Lydia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending