what to write in a resignation letter?

Watch
mh1603
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am moving to uni in September and need to hand in my notice for a waitressing job what should I include in this letter?
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would just keep it polite, brief and formal. Just keep it straight to the point.
username5777717
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having done this myself before, you really don't need to say much.

Just start with an appropriate greeting, then say something along the lines of "Please accept this as formal notice that I wish to resign" and end it with an appropriate sign-off. You're not obliged to explain yourself or give any reason for your decision, although I guess you can if you particularly want to.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would also include the date you wish to resign as well, so they don't interpret it as you are giving in your notice period. That's if you intend on working there for a bit longer. It may be worth actually waiting until you are ready to work your notice period to be honest, so they don't terminate your contract sooner than you want.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mh1603)
I am moving to uni in September and need to hand in my notice for a waitressing job what should I include in this letter?
As it's just waiting on tables, I wouldn't stress it too much. Just a clear statement that you are giving your notice to resign from your job (you don't need to give a reason if you don't want to), the date on which your will be leaving and anything your employer will need to know regarding pay, documents etc.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yours is easy tbh, you're not angry with them and you're not leaving for a rival so you can just say you wish to resign to pursue an academic opportunity without giving any offence.

You still might get asked some questions or invited to attend/fill in an exit interview of some kind, tends to be more white collar roles but more places seem to go for it now.
alkhansa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by whoisjohngalt?)
Having done this myself before, you really don't need to say much.

Just start with an appropriate greeting, then say something along the lines of "Please accept this as formal notice that I wish to resign" and end it with an appropriate sign-off. You're not obliged to explain yourself or give any reason for your decision, although I guess you can if you particularly want to.
I came here to say this. Also, make sure you include the date (e.g. "Please accept this letter as a formal notice that I wish to resign effective from ____. My final day will be ____."). You might want to keep them for when you need a work reference, so mention something like how much you've enjoyed working there and thank you for the opportunities (even if you don't mean it).
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mh1603)
Put in the letter that you will be leaving due to to going to uni. You are giving X amount of notice. And your last day will be X date. And out something polite like that you have enjoyed working there and thank them for the opportunities.
Keep it short and sweet.
steveaitchison00
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Make sure you have a verbal conversation with the manager or owner first to explain the situation - don't just hand them a letter or drop it on their desk.

Hopefully they already know about your plans to go off to Uni (good employers / managers should know a bit about their team), so you're just confirming this.

If you're planning on coming home during the holidays, you can ask about the possibility of picking up some shifts when you're back eg Christmas is obviously a busy time and you could earn some good money.

Your letter should simply be along the lines of :

Dear XXX,

Due to starting my University studies in September, I am writing to resign from the position of XXX. My last working working day will be XXX.

Thank you for the opportunities I have had working here, I have really enjoyed my time with you and being part of the team.

Kind Regards,
XXX
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The most important thing to include will be the last date you are working and if you are working your notice period (plus how long that is if so).

If you will have any accrued but unused annual leave then I would suggest highlighting that in there as well. Also if there are any benefits you need to address (e.g. pension plans etc - probably not in that kind of job tho) that is also relevant I think.

Anything else is just extra
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (14)
14%
I need help researching courses (8)
8%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6%
I need help with my personal statement (40)
40%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (25)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (5)
5%

Watched Threads