The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2021 (for 2022 Admissions)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Htx_x346
for the PAT are y'all learning the reverse chain rule/ integration by substitution/ partial fractions+integration/ integration by parts? I saw a question that would have been easily solvable using integration by substitution but idk if it's worth teaching myself all of chapter 11 basically?

thanks sm

If I was you, make sure you are confident in all of your calculus!! Make sure you have completed second year pure maths on the A-level spec. Even if it doesn’t come up in the PAT it will probably come up in the interview. Are you applying for engineering or physics btw? Just wondering?
Original post by Nataliee_cotts
If I was you, make sure you are confident in all of your calculus!! Make sure you have completed second year pure maths on the A-level spec. Even if it doesn’t come up in the PAT it will probably come up in the interview. Are you applying for engineering or physics btw? Just wondering?

Ooh okay, thanks sm!!
Physics :smile: you?
Ooh okay, thanks sm!!
Physics :smile: you?

Engineering 😊
Reply 23
for the PAT are y'all learning the reverse chain rule/ integration by substitution/ partial fractions+integration/ integration by parts? I saw a question that would have been easily solvable using integration by substitution but idk if it's worth teaching myself all of chapter 11 basically?

thanks sm

You are assumed all Alevel knowledge in physics and mathematics. All you spoke about are in syllabus of Alevel mathematics, so you should learn it.
I need some advice. So I’m really ill like seizure ill. I really need to ace the PAT and I’m scared I will have a seizure in the exam or something similar. Would you think there would be any chance of extra consideration or an opportunity to take the PAT another time. Im just really worried that my health is going to crew up my opportunity
I need some advice. So I’m really ill like seizure ill. I really need to ace the PAT and I’m scared I will have a seizure in the exam or something similar. Would you think there would be any chance of extra consideration or an opportunity to take the PAT another time. Im just really worried that my health is going to crew up my opportunity

100%! just make sure the University or your school is aware and they are able to make special considerations for anyone who is ill or etc. during the exam. Admissions reports say that there's always about 60-80 people who didn't make PAT cut-off who are invited to interview for exceptional circumstances... So don't worry too much!
Reply 26
Are differential equations in the PAT syllabus at all?
Reply 27
Original post by G2021
Are differential equations in the PAT syllabus at all?

No. Just integrations.
Are Taylor expansions on the syllabus?
Are Taylor expansions on the syllabus?

No because some applicants don't take further maths
Original post by Itsmikeysfault
No because some applicants don't take further maths

oh thanks.
Sorry to keep bothering you but do you think we need to memorise the integrals of standard functions? Like the integral of secxtanx is secx +c?
Reply 31
oh thanks.
Sorry to keep bothering you but do you think we need to memorise the integrals of standard functions? Like the integral of secxtanx is secx +c?

Yes, you do. This is a standard formula for trigonometric integration. But normally they only ask for exponentials, logarithmics, trigonometrics and polynomials. I didn't remember seeing anything requiring hyperbolic and inverse trigonometrics. Though knowing arctan might be useful as it is in alevel math.
Have you all received confirmation from your colleges yet because I haven’t and I’m wondering if it’s an engineering thing?
Original post by Cloumo
Yes, you do. This is a standard formula for trigonometric integration. But normally they only ask for exponentials, logarithmics, trigonometrics and polynomials. I didn't remember seeing anything requiring hyperbolic and inverse trigonometrics. Though knowing arctan might be useful as it is in alevel math.

Thanks

Have you all received confirmation from your colleges yet because I haven’t and I’m wondering if it’s an engineering thing?

I have, yeah

might be an engineering thing at your college? i got an email (physics) and it doesnt really have much info anyway.

any New college applicants?
Reply 35
Going through some expansions from a textbook. Wondered if this sort of question would be asked? Expand sqrt(1-x) and hence estimate sqrt(0.9) to 3dp.
Reply 36
Hi I don’t think so as the spec says Use of the binomial expansion for expressions such as (a bx)n, using only positive integer values of n.’, so they shouldn’t ask about expanding square roots.
Is anyone really stressed? I’ve done all the PATs, ENGAAs, NSAAs and British Physics olympiads and I still don’t feel prepared
Is anyone really stressed? I’ve done all the PATs, ENGAAs, NSAAs and British Physics olympiads and I still don’t feel prepared

thats really good lol. I've only done the PAT papers and some BPhO papers. You'll be fine. There's not much you can do now except maybe go over the spec and see if you need to work on anything. I think you've prepared enough though tbf.

All? I haven't even done all the PATs yet. How did you find the papers?
I've done most of the PATs and a couple TMUA
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending