Malu Kamanga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How soon can I apply for the january postgrad PGcert in surgery intake to brighton and sussex medical school?What documents should I provide?
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Malu Kamanga)
How soon can I apply for the january postgrad PGcert in surgery intake to brighton and sussex medical school?What documents should I provide?
Hello, thank you for your question.

Myself, I have neither applied nor studied the PGcert in surgery at BSMS. However, below I have included some general information about the entry requirements for the PGcert in surgical studies, as well as the details of how and where to apply for this course. If you have follow-up questions, I would recommend contacting the Programme Administrator ([email protected]) and/or BSMS General Enquiries ([email protected]) and I am sure they will be more than happy to clarify anything that does not make sense or is not fully covered on the website .

Entry Requirements:

Applicants should have an undergraduate medical degree, and should be able to demonstrate an ability to study at this level. It is expected that students will be in clinical practice throughout the programme. However, this course is primarily aimed at Surgical Trainees who should have a minimum of two years of postgraduate experience and normally be post-Part 1 MRCS. Still, applications will also be considered from other professionals in appropriate clinical practice (theatre and surgical practitioners and physician associates). Applicants may be interviewed. They will be expected to be aware of the latest trends and developments in Surgery and show that they have had regular contact with key surgical journals.

All applications will be subject to the University Equal Opportunities Policy. Applications are welcomed from International Students with appropriate qualifications and experience. Students for whom English is not a first language must demonstrate an acceptable standard of comprehension and communication in the English Language (IELTS: minimum overall score of 7.0 and 7.0 for the writing element). Where necessary, applicants may enrol in an English Pre-sessional course which takes place before admission to the MSc Course. Claims for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) will be considered.

General application process:

For most of our postgraduate courses you should apply directly to the university. Here is the link to the application for the PGcert in surgery at BSMS: PGcert in surgery application.

Application for courses opens in mid-September. It is advisable to apply early as offers are made as good applications come in. Moreover, the sooner you have a place, the more sources of funding you'll be able to investigate and apply for.

Term starts on 27 September 2021, we may be able to accept late applications after this date (I am not familiar with any courses that start in January but of course this might be the case - you may need to contact BSMS to enquire about this ([email protected]; [email protected]).
If you would like to make a late application you should make sure that your application is completed in full. If you require a visa to study, it may not be possible for you to make a late application.

Generally there's no deadline for applying for a postgraduate course at Brighton. If you require a UK visa to study you should ensure you make your application with enough time to arrange your visa afterwards.

Also, you may find it helpful to read the surgical studies application handbook, since it contains more detailed information about the structure of the course, the entry requirements, details of how and where to apply, the relevant contacts and so on...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions that I might be able to help you with.

All the Best,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise