The Student Room Group

A level subjects

What are the best A levels that can open doors to many high earning careers?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths is never a bad choice, but you're more likely to be successful if you pick subjects (and a career) that interest you rather than just one that is high-earning.
Choose what you enjoy studying otherwise you'll get no where. Doing the most door opening subjects is great and all but if you don't enjoy studying it you'll be unhappy for the rest of your life :eek:.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Cleverzara1
What are the best A levels that can open doors to many high earning careers?

Thanks

English is a very versatile subject, and the skills the subject gives you are incredibly transferrable. It can lead to careers like law, journalism, teaching, film, politics and others (when meshed with the right subjects, that can help). What sort of things are you interested in?
(edited 2 years ago)
Well you've got to make sure you can do good in the subject. An A in a subject you like would be better than getting a low grade in say maths, for example
Reply 5
I’m good in maths :smile:

Original post by iwriteletters
English is a very versatile subject, and the skills the subject gives you are incredibly transferrable. It can lead to careers like law, journalism, teaching, film, politics and others (when meshed with the right subjects, that can help). What sort of things are you interested in?
Reply 6
I’m thinking to become an engineer but i don’t like physics !!!
Do you know where I can get some motivation- my teachers weren’t that great and had a bad experience for the past 5 years
Do you know where I can get some motivation- my teachers weren’t that great and had a bad experience for the past 5 years

Not all university Engineering courses require Physics. Do your research.
Reply 8

What is it you don't like about Physics? There are a lot of similarities between Physics and engineering
Reply 9
I have :smile:

But i don’t know what to choose as now I have got a bunch of optional subjects to choose from- I just want something that isn’t too contextual, something that is fun and interesting. Does anyone consider doing further maths along with a level maths
(edited 2 years ago)
You need to consider your potential interested career/study paths first as for example many sciences at University require the same science and another science or maths alongside it. You do need to tailor your choices to your interests and potential future choices.
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
What is it you don't like about Physics? There are a lot of similarities between Physics and engineering

Learning circuit symbols and types of circuits for example parallel and series. In addition, complicated calculations involving too many conversion requirements
Reply 12
Original post by Vikingninja
You need to consider your potential interested career/study paths first as for example many sciences at University require the same science and another science or maths alongside it. You do need to tailor your choices to your interests and potential future choices.

Your point is correct :smile:

Generally classical combination of A level subjects for an engineer involves maths and physics

However, does anyone recommend further maths a level as i may consider that instead of physics :smile:
I’m good in maths :smile:

You could see what sort of maths based careers are out there, and then search the subjects that are needed for those careers or uni courses (if that's what you'll need to get to that career) and pick from the list that appear.

Are you good at physics? I know liking it and being good are different things, and I'd say enjoyment is more important than skill, because if you want to get up for work and be happy with the place you're heading to you might need to pick something you enjoy. Do you need motivation to pick a subject? Or motivation to do physics? Did you have a bad experience with physics?

Also, have you picked any sixth forms out yet, or seen any you're interested in? If I was you, I'd do research into physics at those schools and try and speak to the teachers there about it, as sixth form for me is a very different (in the best way) experience to secondary school. I am in love with my sixth form and the step up in the quality of education they give, so for me basing my experience in the sixth form subjects on how I found secondary school wouldn't have been right. I do English Lit and Lang, Media Studies, and Film Studies, but before choosing them I did research into what the courses are like and had meetings with my potential teachers. You can look at online specifications for the subject to see what content you'll be learning, that can be a factor on whether or not you'll enjoy the subject.

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense as it's a big chunk of words to take in :smile:
Learning circuit symbols and types of circuits for example parallel and series. In addition, complicated calculations involving too many conversion requirements

What type of engineering do you want to get into? I'm asking because you'll see these type of things more in an engineering degree than you would in any physics or maths degree.
Your point is correct :smile:

Generally classical combination of A level subjects for an engineer involves maths and physics

However, does anyone recommend further maths a level as i may consider that instead of physics :smile:

I did civil engineering and didn't take further maths, took physics though. Further maths from my memory is more if you want to do mathematics later on or heavily related to it (as in statistics for example) or a very highly viewed uni for engineering.
Reply 16
For many university courses they like to see that you can write essays very well so make sure to do an essay writing subject. English lit does seem to be one of the most respected.
Original post by Compost
Maths is never a bad choice, but you're more likely to be successful if you pick subjects (and a career) that interest you rather than just one that is high-earning.

I agree.
English is a good subject to several different things.
But like.has been said- choose a career that interests you rather than just one that is high earning.
Reply 18
Original post by iwriteletters
You could see what sort of maths based careers are out there, and then search the subjects that are needed for those careers or uni courses (if that's what you'll need to get to that career) and pick from the list that appear.

Are you good at physics? I know liking it and being good are different things, and I'd say enjoyment is more important than skill, because if you want to get up for work and be happy with the place you're heading to you might need to pick something you enjoy. Do you need motivation to pick a subject? Or motivation to do physics? Did you have a bad experience with physics?

Also, have you picked any sixth forms out yet, or seen any you're interested in? If I was you, I'd do research into physics at those schools and try and speak to the teachers there about it, as sixth form for me is a very different (in the best way) experience to secondary school. I am in love with my sixth form and the step up in the quality of education they give, so for me basing my experience in the sixth form subjects on how I found secondary school wouldn't have been right. I do English Lit and Lang, Media Studies, and Film Studies, but before choosing them I did research into what the courses are like and had meetings with my potential teachers. You can look at online specifications for the subject to see what content you'll be learning, that can be a factor on whether or not you'll enjoy the subject.

Let me know if any of that didn't make sense as it's a big chunk of words to take in :smile:

Hello Iwriteletters
Due to poor teaching, my interest for physics has been down rated :smile:
Are there any A level physics teacher on YouTube that anyone would recommended ?
Thank you so much for your advice on contacting the sixth form team :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Vikingninja
I did civil engineering and didn't take further maths, took physics though. Further maths from my memory is more if you want to do mathematics later on or heavily related to it (as in statistics for example) or a very highly viewed uni for engineering.

Hello Vikingninja,

I’m thinking of becoming a programming engineer

Quick Reply

Latest