Is £40 per hour expensive for driving lessons?

Watch
edwardnate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've just started driving lessons and know really not that much about the industry of driving schools - the instructor I'm with is £40 per hour and £80 for 2 hour sessions.

Is this expensive?

From doing some quick googling, it sounds like most people's lessons are about £25 per hour!

Any advice on whether this is expensive or normal would be really appreciated as I'm a broke youth worker so £40 is a lot ahaha
Moonlight Rain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would certainly not pay £40 for driving lessons. Especially if I wanna do 30 hour of lessons
Last edited by Moonlight rain; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very expensive, normal rates are about £25
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
And I thought paying £27 for a top tier instructor was expensive, lol
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Was a few years ago, but I was paying around £27 an hour for AA and got a bit of discount for block bookings. So yeah, seems OTT to me.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm paying £25/hour.

There are some local instructors who increased their prices after lockdown due to additional costs for cleaning/masks/lost time and haven't reduced again. They are trying to make up for lost income and taking advantage of the lack of instructor availability. Supply and demand!

I wouldn't pay £40/hour unless really desperate.
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by edwardnate)
I've just started driving lessons and know really not that much about the industry of driving schools - the instructor I'm with is £40 per hour and £80 for 2 hour sessions.

Is this expensive?

From doing some quick googling, it sounds like most people's lessons are about £25 per hour!

Any advice on whether this is expensive or normal would be really appreciated as I'm a broke youth worker so £40 is a lot ahaha
Seems overpriced. The hourly rate doesn't tend to change for a 2 hour session as opposed to one but if you were to buy a slot of 10 lessons you may get a discount. I got 10 at £23 an hour but its gone up since. £25 as others have said is about average
KaneG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Is this expensive?

Manual: I pay £26/hour.
Automatic: I’ve seen rates of around £30/hour.

£40/hour is a total rip off
edwardnate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by KaneG)
Manual: I pay £26/hour.
Automatic: I’ve seen rates of around £30/hour.

£40/hour is a total rip off
the general consensus from everyone is that I'm being ripped off ahaha we love to see it, thank you everyone
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah that's eye watering for anywhere in the UK

(mine were about 3 years back but was £25 an hour or 10 for £200, but I knew that was good)
KaneG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the general consensus from everyone is that I'm being ripped off ahaha we love to see it, thank you everyone
Yep definitely. 😂. Well at least you know now
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
very expensive yes.
TheDE
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some instructors lacking in scruples are taking advantage of the current situation
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah that does seem pretty pricey
LeafMeAlonee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes that's too much. I've paid max £25 per hour
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I paid £22 to block book 24hours worth of lessons about 5 years ago. Can’t imagine prices have doubled in 5 years.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Is this expensive?

I pay £35 for an hour and a half
yeah I'd say that's pretty pricey
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
£40 is a rip off mate. Unless your instructor is also providing other services.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (9)
13.85%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.31%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
38.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.92%

Watched Threads