MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am hoping to become a pre-registration pharmacist next year hence am applying this summer. I am so unsure on locations - how should I preference it? I don't know how many to rank through oriel and whether to stay near home or not?

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by MKaur18; 1 month ago
ChillBear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MKaur18)
I am hoping to become a pre-registration pharmacist next year hence am applying this summer. I am so unsure on locations - how should I preference it? I don't know how many to rank through oriel and whether to stay near home or not?

Thank you in advance
Sounds like you want to do your pre-reg in community pharmacy?

Staying near home or not doesn't really matter, unless you're wanting to save money.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter which community pharmacy you do your pre-reg because most of them just treat you as an extra hand to get day-to-day work done. I know that sounds bleak but it's 90% true.

If you do get lucky you'll have a supportive tutor who will allocate you time to study or give you better shift patterns for time off.

If I had to repeat pre-reg I would try to do it in an independent pharmacy with a 100 hour contract, ask the tutor if I can do my 40 hour week in the space of 3 days (so 2 days 15 hours, 1 day 10 hours) and if they can allocate me some time to study on my days there. Having 4 days off instead of 2 each week is such a huge improvement to quality of life and will give you more time to focus on studying for your exam.

I do have to say that a few weeks ago I had a pre-reg from hospital shadow me in general practice and I was impressed by his clinical knowledge. Hospital pre-reg would probably get you better ready for the exam than a community position.
Last edited by ChillBear; 1 month ago
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ChillBear)
Sounds like you want to do your pre-reg in community pharmacy?

Staying near home or not doesn't really matter, unless you're wanting to save money.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter which community pharmacy you do your pre-reg because most of them just treat you as an extra hand to get day-to-day work done. I know that sounds bleak but it's 90% true.

If you do get lucky you'll have a supportive tutor who will allocate you time to study or give you better shift patterns for time off.

If I had to repeat pre-reg I would try to do it in an independent pharmacy with a 100 hour contract, ask the tutor if I can do my 40 hour week in the space of 3 days (so 2 days 15 hours, 1 day 10 hours) and if they can allocate me some time to study on my days there. Having 4 days off instead of 2 each week is such a huge improvement to quality of life and will give you more time to focus on studying for your exam.

I do have to say that a few weeks ago I had a pre-reg from hospital shadow me in general practice and I was impressed by his clinical knowledge. Hospital pre-reg would probably get you better ready for the exam than a community position.
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I want a split placement - I don't mind if it's community & GP or hospital & GP. But I definitely want a GP split.

Yeah - I felt like that when I did a summer placement at a retail pharmacy. Yeah - I hope that it isn't awful all over again.

That sounds like long days but if that's what works for you then that's an amazing plan on reflection - but I feel like it's unlikely that they'd let me work silly hours like that though ie. very long days.

I feel that hospital will settle me in a better place and the experience will help heaps too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads