Paul Vincent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Wondering which UK university would be best to study astrophysics (apart from Oxbridge).
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Southampton's got some nice modules for astro. Plus you get to go on a 1 or 2 week field trip to Tenerife.
NovaeSci
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What aspects of Astrophysics do you enjoy? Would you prefer to do a Physics with Astrophysics degree (more options) or a straight Astrophysics degree (fewer options)?

I'm soon going to be studying either Physics with Astrophysics or Physics and Astronomy at the University of Glasgow. Their research department was involved in detecting Gravitational Waves, so they're strong in Gravitational research.

But it all goes down to what you want from the undergraduate degree. And if you intend to study for your masters as an integrated masters or standalone.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Imperial, warwick, nottingham, manchester, Edinburgh spring to my mind for physics generally
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I and currently in my 4th year at the University of Sheffield and studied physics and philosophy here. I really enjoyed the astro modules I took! Physics/astrophysics at Sheffield is great with a really supportive department and active Physics Society.

The department page is here to have a look at modules (let me know if you have any questions about them): https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/physics

It's also a great city to live in with a huge variety of things to do. There is a lively city centre, and our students' union has been ranked number 1 in the UK since 2008. We are also lucky to have lots of green space around and the peak district right on the doorstep.

Let me know if you have any questions

Sarah
MSc Science Communication
BSc Physics and philosophy
Paul Vincent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Sheffield Students)
Hi there,

I and currently in my 4th year at the University of Sheffield and studied physics and philosophy here. I really enjoyed the astro modules I took! Physics/astrophysics at Sheffield is great with a really supportive department and active Physics Society.

The department page is here to have a look at modules (let me know if you have any questions about them): https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/physics

It's also a great city to live in with a huge variety of things to do. There is a lively city centre, and our students' union has been ranked number 1 in the UK since 2008. We are also lucky to have lots of green space around and the peak district right on the doorstep.

Let me know if you have any questions

Sarah
MSc Science Communication
BSc Physics and philosophy
Thanks for that Sarah. Will take a look.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Might depend a bit on what part of astro you're interested in. Exeter at least previously was I think one of the leading places for exoplanet research I believe - they also have a radio telescope down in Cornwall! UCL has a large range of planetary science options which are somewhat uncommon otherwise.

The aforementioned Southampton does have a good range of astro modules, and the GR group there (albeit based in the maths department) I think is pretty well established. They also have their unique flagship astrophysics degree which allows the top performing students on one of the physics programmes there to undertake in their final year a full year of academic research at the Harvard-Smithsonian Observatory (there is also a parallel programme for those interested in particle physics to spend a year at CERN).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads