Incomplete exams causing to tepeating a year at Uni

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I sent MC’s for exams in my second year due to bad WiFi and during the refer and defer period I was ready to take the exams but a big family issue had happened also affecting my mental health so I had to miss my exams again and now I’ve been told to repeat the year. I know that is what happens but I wished they’d make an exception as it was all out of my hands and I will have to drop out of uni as I paid for exams to do outside of my uni which is for something I am doing after my third year. Can I appeal? Is there something or anything I can do?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sent MC’s for exams in my second year due to bad WiFi and during the refer and defer period I was ready to take the exams but a big family issue had happened also affecting my mental health so I had to miss my exams again and now I’ve been told to repeat the year. I know that is what happens but I wished they’d make an exception as it was all out of my hands and I will have to drop out of uni as I paid for exams to do outside of my uni which is for something I am doing after my third year. Can I appeal? Is there something or anything I can do?
Hi Anonymous,

I'm sorry circumstances have been difficult for you, I hope things manage to get better for you

Each university will have different policies, so I'd get in touch with you student support services first to see what your options are and if extenuating circumstances can work in your favour.

Lucy
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
This is really sad... could you not carry on the exams to the next year?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Contact the student representative and your head of department with all the evidence you have to back up your claims. If the WiFi was bad did you notify your department after each exam that posed a problem. If you did, do you have copies of your correspondence? and why didn't they try to make alternative arrangements for you? Build up a solid file of proof supporting your M.C and then see if you can negotiate doing the problem modules at the same tie as the next year of your course
If you already have most of the notes you may not need to be present for lectures and in any case many unis are maintaining on line learning for lectures, so this might play I your favour (as long as you assure them that this year you've got the internet problems covered)
Good luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi Anonymous,

I'm sorry circumstances have been difficult for you, I hope things manage to get better for you

Each university will have different policies, so I'd get in touch with you student support services first to see what your options are and if extenuating circumstances can work in your favour.

Lucy
Hi Lucy, thank you for your message. I did get in touch with my Registry but I should also get in touch with the Student advice team. Thank you
Anonymous #1
That’s what I said to them too. I asked if I can do the exams alongside the new year material. I asked them to make me an exception and if I could give in the work as early as next week but they keep saying the work will not be eligible to be marked.
Anonymous #1
That’s what I said to them too. I asked if I can do the exams alongside the new year material. I asked them to make me an exception and if I could give in the work as early as next week but they keep saying the work will not be eligible to be marked.
Anonymous #1
Sorry that just posted twice
Anonymous #1
Contact the student representative and your head of department with all the evidence you have to back up your claims. If the WiFi was bad did you notify your department after each exam that posed a problem. If you did, do you have copies of your correspondence? and why didn't they try to make alternative arrangements for you? Build up a solid file of proof supporting your M.C and then see if you can negotiate doing the problem modules at the same tie as the next year of your course
If you already have most of the notes you may not need to be present for lectures and in any case many unis are maintaining on line learning for lectures, so this might play I your favour (as long as you assure them that this year you've got the internet problems covered)
Good luck!
Hi thank you for your reply. Yes I notified the department and registry every single time when WiFi was weak and was affecting my work. I have all the evidences of our conversation and receipts of the MC with my reasons on it. I always tried to argue for them not to defer me to do my exams many months later as I only needed a few hours maybe less as wifi would stop more than halfway of my work’s completion.
Also I thought, although I hated the idea of doing a repeat year, I thought my knowledge of the material would be refreshed with going over the lectures again but they said I have no lectures I just have an empty year to submit my pieces of work (that I’ve already completed nearly all of) would be due months apart from each other next year.
But your idea about making a solid argument gathering my evidences seems like a really good idea. Thank you so much.
Would this be for an appeal though? Would you say I can send an appeal for this circumstance?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Hi thank you for your reply. Yes I notified the department and registry every single time when WiFi was weak and was affecting my work. I have all the evidences of our conversation and receipts of the MC with my reasons on it. I always tried to argue for them not to defer me to do my exams many months later as I only needed a few hours maybe less as wifi would stop more than halfway of my work’s completion.
Also I thought, although I hated the idea of doing a repeat year, I thought my knowledge of the material would be refreshed with going over the lectures again but they said I have no lectures I just have an empty year to submit my pieces of work (that I’ve already completed nearly all of) would be due months apart from each other next year.
But your idea about making a solid argument gathering my evidences seems like a really good idea. Thank you so much.
Would this be for an appeal though? Would you say I can send an appeal for this circumstance?
Each university has its own rules and regulations so I wouldn't know your appeal procedure. Get in contact ASAP with your student representative.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I sent MC’s for exams in my second year due to bad WiFi and during the refer and defer period I was ready to take the exams but a big family issue had happened also affecting my mental health so I had to miss my exams again and now I’ve been told to repeat the year. I know that is what happens but I wished they’d make an exception
There is no real reason for them to make an exception - they have already given you the opportunity to defer your exams and unfortunately, you were not able to take that offer. The only option left to them was to give you the opportunity to repeat the year. If you try to take on too much by doing the exams alongside learning new course material you are likely to be unsuccessful at both - that is why they don't let people do it, not because they are unsympathetic.

In my opinion you are wasting your mental energy trying to appeal against rules that are fair and transparent, you would be better off accepting that you will need to retake the year to gain your degree.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by harrysbar)
There is no real reason for them to make an exception - they have already given you the opportunity to defer your exams and unfortunately, you were not able to take that offer. The only option left to them was to give you the opportunity to repeat the year. If you try to take on too much by doing the exams alongside learning new course material you are likely to be unsuccessful at both - that is why they don't let people do it, not because they are unsympathetic.

In my opinion you are wasting your mental energy trying to appeal against rules that are fair and transparent, you would be better off accepting that you will need to retake the year to gain your degree.
Thank you for your reply. That’s true it would be difficult. But the coursework that I was supposed to submit, I’ve already written. They said they won’t be changing the question so I had pre-written everything ready to be submitted. That’s why I was a bit sad that I won’t have any lectures and just waiting for the deadlines to submit things I’ve already written.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for your reply. That’s true it would be difficult. But the coursework that I was supposed to submit, I’ve already written. They said they won’t be changing the question so I had pre-written everything ready to be submitted. That’s why I was a bit sad that I won’t have any lectures and just waiting for the deadlines to submit things I’ve already written.
That does sound depressing, I just don't see them making an exemption for you. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by harrysbar)
That does sound depressing, I just don't see them making an exemption for you. Doesn't hurt to try I guess.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll try my hardest and see what happens. I just wish I knew the way I can present my appeal to them makes them accept it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads