username5809575
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is Lana Del Rey racist? I've heard a few of Lana's songs and they're not really bad. My favourite song of Lana's would be Diet Mountain Dew. I'm not a big fan of hers because she has a weird, forced voice, which isn't my favourite thing to listen to. About a year ago, she wrote a tweet that some deemed racist. What are your thoughts?
Last edited by username5809575; 1 month ago
agent37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's just because in her post, she dragged down seven other singers and criticised them massively (6/7 of them were black) and then started saying that she was more "delicate" than others and people were intolerant of "women who look and act like me". It wasn't great. Lana Del Rey, a white woman, complaining about how there was a lack of space for her while criticising Black pop artists is not acceptable by any means.

Furthermore, how she responded to the incident was rude and unapologetic so tbf, as far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty sure she is racist.
username5809575
Rep:
?
(Original post by agent37)
it's just because in her post, she dragged down seven other singers and criticised them massively (6/7 of them were black) and then started saying that she was more "delicate" than others and people were intolerant of "women who look and act like me". It wasn't great. Lana Del Rey, a white woman, complaining about how there was a lack of space for her while criticising Black pop artists is not acceptable by any means.

Furthermore, how she responded to the incident was rude and unapologetic so tbf, as far as I'm concerned, I'm pretty sure she is racist.
No, 5/7 of them were black.

Ariana Grande isn't black.

Camila Cabello isn't black.

Doja Cat is mixed race (black/white.)

Beyonce is black.

Nicki Minaj is black

Kehlani is mixed race.

Cardi B is mixed race.
agent37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Digital_Druglord)
No, 5/7 of them were black.

Ariana Grande isn't black.

Camila Cabello isn't black.

Doja Cat is mixed race (black/white.)

Beyonce is black.

Nicki Minaj is black

Kehlani is mixed race.

Cardi B is mixed race.
Okay, thanks for letting me know

I just quoted off an article because I know next to nothing about her but okay - I don't really listen to music
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Of course, everyones a racist these days apparently :rolleyes:
username5809575
Rep:
?
(Original post by Digital_Druglord)
Is Lana Del Rey racist? I've heard a few of Lana's songs and they're not really bad. My favourite song of Lana's would be Diet Mountain Dew. I'm not a big fan of hers because she has a weird, forced voice, which isn't my favourite thing to listen to. About a year ago, she wrote a tweet that some deemed racist. What are your thoughts?
I think it wasn't her intention to be racist, she just wanted to make a point, I don't necessarily agree with the fact that she had to drag down several women to prove her point, but at the same time, had she not used examples, people would've said, "What are you talking about?" No offence, but I don't blame people for thinking that she glamorises violence. In some ways, when I first listened to her music, I too, thought she was glamorising violence.
Chadmiral Nelson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by agent37)

Why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.46%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (39)
14.34%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (79)
29.04%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.28%

Watched Threads