The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

My MA has been cancelled without warning?

So I sent an email off to the Salford enquiries team about a week ago because I got my undergrad results and was looking to confirm my place on the MA Screen Media Industries course (I'm an English graduate, alright, my options are limited). Earlier today I got a reply that just said:

"Thank you for your enquiry and your interest in the University of Salford.
I regret to inform you that our MA Screen Media Industries programme is set to be suspended for September 2021 entry.
Are you interested in any of our other courses as an alternative? Or is there anything else I can do to help you?"

As you can imagine, this has kind of blindsided me considering that this same day I was getting those default emails from the uni telling me how hyped they were that I was coming to Salford. Not only that, the course is still listed on the official site and people can still apply for it. I've already paid a deposit on my accomodation, sorted out my student loan, etc.

Now, this email was sent at 4:30 and the offices close at 5, so I haven't been able to get a reply email or phone call. I guess my question is... HELP????? My entire year plan has been thrown out in a 3-line email, so I'm really looking for any advice I can get.
enquire why it was cancelled, perhaps call other unis, since you have undergrad results to see if you can do the course there if available.
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Can't speak to this specific course or uni but my main advice is absolutely do NOT commit to an alternate master's if aren't absolutely certain about it and have researched it thoroughly! Don't feel obligated to pick another because of time pressure or just for the sake of doing one at this specific point in your life. It's 100% not worth it. If you have any doubts, it's far better to take a year out, work, and reassess your options calmly on your own terms than commit to a year of something you do not truly want. It sucks but it sucks more to stuck in something you're not truly passionate about.
Biggest education mistake I've ever made was switching courses due to similar reasons and ending up on an ma I hadn't properly thought through that I ended up dropping out of after 1 term. I wasted thousands of pounds, 4 months of my life and my one chance at post-grad loans.
Original post by Anonymous
Can't speak to this specific course or uni but my main advice is absolutely do NOT commit to an alternate master's if aren't absolutely certain about it and have researched it thoroughly! Don't feel obligated to pick another because of time pressure or just for the sake of doing one at this specific point in your life. It's 100% not worth it. If you have any doubts, it's far better to take a year out, work, and reassess your options calmly on your own terms than commit to a year of something you do not truly want. It sucks but it sucks more to stuck in something you're not truly passionate about.
Biggest education mistake I've ever made was switching courses due to similar reasons and ending up on an ma I hadn't properly thought through that I ended up dropping out of after 1 term. I wasted thousands of pounds, 4 months of my life and my one chance at post-grad loans.

This is really good advice.

Unfortunately, universities can chop and change things, but it is a poor show that they didn't even contact you about this when they decided on the cancellation, and didn't inform you until you contacted them.
Original post by guswarrender
So I sent an email off to the Salford enquiries team about a week ago because I got my undergrad results and was looking to confirm my place on the MA Screen Media Industries course (I'm an English graduate, alright, my options are limited). Earlier today I got a reply that just said:

"Thank you for your enquiry and your interest in the University of Salford.
I regret to inform you that our MA Screen Media Industries programme is set to be suspended for September 2021 entry.
Are you interested in any of our other courses as an alternative? Or is there anything else I can do to help you?"

As you can imagine, this has kind of blindsided me considering that this same day I was getting those default emails from the uni telling me how hyped they were that I was coming to Salford. Not only that, the course is still listed on the official site and people can still apply for it. I've already paid a deposit on my accomodation, sorted out my student loan, etc.

Now, this email was sent at 4:30 and the offices close at 5, so I haven't been able to get a reply email or phone call. I guess my question is... HELP????? My entire year plan has been thrown out in a 3-line email, so I'm really looking for any advice I can get.

Hi @guswarrender,

I'm really sorry that you have received this information in such a manner, I can imagine it was quite a shock and disappointment to you. Unfortunately we do have to postpone courses at last minute when it becomes apparent that they are not viable to run that academic year.

Have you managed to speak to someone from Admissions yet? If you want to DM me your details (full name, DOB, application/student ID) I can get someone to get in touch with you to have a chat through your options.

Best wishes,
Alison
University of Salford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending