Kettatheo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ok hi
I’m a year 1 student nurse. Have been on placement for 17 weeks straight 3 weeks left to do due to covid. On my final interview my assessor forgot to sign it so I did but then scribbled it out because it was the wrong thing to do and I forgot to ask her to resign in. So right now the pad document has been handed in with her name there and no signature, now I’m waiting for it to go to an academic misconduct meeting. I’m really worried as I’ve worked extremely hard, I didn’t want to be a burden and ask her to sign my book has she had already had it for 3 hours. Should I be truthful in my meeting?
Last edited by Kettatheo; 1 month ago
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kettatheo)
Ok hi
I’m a year 1 student nurse. Have been on placement for 17 weeks straight 3 weeks left to do due to covid. On my final interview my assessor forgot to sign it so I did but then scribbled it out because it was the wrong thing to do and I forgot to ask her to resign in. So right now the pad document has been handed in with her name there and no signature, now I’m waiting for it to go to an academic misconduct meeting. I’m really worried as I’ve worked extremely hard, I didn’t want to be a burden and ask her to sign my book has she had already had it for 3 hours. Should I be truthful in my meeting?
The fact that you even need to ask whether you should be truthful is concerning. Universities see this all the time and will see straight through whatever lie or story you are considering telling.

I would suggest reading our fitness to practice guidance here to understand the university perspective: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5780318

Some things to consider:
- If you were willing to forge one signature, how does the university validate the other signatures you have obtained? How would the university verify you had completed the hours at placement?
- If you felt it was ok to take your mentor's signature, how can the university be sure you would not have fabricated a signature in patient notes? Or patient data such as blood pressures? How can they be certain there is no risk to patient safety?

You need to demonstrate you understand the severity of your actions and the level of doubt it casts upon you, the profession and the university.
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it would have been better to have lost that sheet than hand it in. it could be the end of your course its that serious.
Allyson2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kettatheo)
Ok hi
I think what Charlotte webs said is spot on plus read the relevant docs on NMC fit to practice guidelines.

As a NHS registered adult nurse and midwife I am a mentor/supervisor to student nurses and if you handed me your placement docs to be signed of and I seen what you said you done on it I would be notifying your course leader/ward management and also NMC as well about it as that is one thing you don't do is falsely sign another person signature as this is classed as fraudulent.
What I tend to do with any students I'm mentoring over there 7 weeks placement is to sign a plan of things we are going to be doing each week and I also sign it and I keep it and give them a copy and at the end of it I look for anything out of place before I sign off her coursework folder and I take a photo copy incase there any comeback.
I think at worse you might be dismissed but obviously it's upto the university etc to decide your fate and you'll be best to take whatever comes to you.
What point of being honest now that the damage been done as you should had done this immediately you did this.
Kettatheo
Rep:
?
Of course I will be truthful as it’s the right thing to do. I do not want to be kicked off the course. As soon as I did it, I knew instantly it was wrong which is why I crossed it out straight away. I had already right the wrong if this makes sense. I had to hand it in the very next day my mentor was off so I couldn’t even get her to have a final look over the pad document.
Kettatheo
Rep:
?
Hi

(Original post by Allyson2020)
I think what Charlotte webs said is spot on plus read the relevant docs on NMC fit to practice guidelines.

As a NHS registered adult nurse and midwife I am a mentor/supervisor to student nurses and if you handed me your placement docs to be signed of and I seen what you said you done on it I would be notifying your course leader/ward management and also NMC as well about it as that is one thing you don't do is falsely sign another person signature as this is classed as fraudulent.
What I tend to do with any students I'm mentoring over there 7 weeks placement is to sign a plan of things we are going to be doing each week and I also sign it and I keep it and give them a copy and at the end of it I look for anything out of place before I sign off her coursework folder and I take a photo copy incase there any comeback.
I think at worse you might be dismissed but obviously it's upto the university etc to decide your fate and you'll be best to take whatever comes to you.
What point of being honest now that the damage been done as you should had done this immediately you did this.
Hi I have worked with my mentor twice. She always had a year 3 student and sent me off to work with someone else. She did all my interviews in one go on the last week as she never had time. She told me I should have got someone else to fill them in, I said it says to be completed by practice assessor. I know what I have done wrong that’s why I didn’t submit it as her signature because I crossed it out straight away
paub
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
sadly you still did sign it. even crossing it out it indicates that you have failed to meet the standards expected of a nurse. that is if you mess up admit it as soon as possible. a delay in handing the form in would have been a lesser issue. i hope they give you another chance but its so serious in a nurse that they may not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads