Is it possible to be released from my rent contract due to illness?

Watch
theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was supposed to start LPC last year. I had signed on for a tenancy at an accommodation too. Unfortunately due to an illness (central sleep apnea), I couldn't go on to do LPC so I withdrew before the course began.

Was feeling symptoms for a while but they suddenly got worse. Symptoms were fatigue, tiredness, waking up to pee during the night, etc. I suddenly began waking up 5-6x a night to pee. Found out thru hospital test it was central sleep apnea, which means that my brain stops sending signal to my body to breathe during sleep. i'm literally suffocating in my sleep, but unlike obstructive sleep apnea (more common), i can't fix mine with a C-Pap device or weight loss.

Problem is that I had already signed on for a tenancy and was told I was liable for rent. I tried re-letting my room and finding someone to take over my tenancy, but couldn't find anyone. Accommodation people didn't know about my illness at this time.

But I'm not a student at the university near the accommodation nor have I ever even set foot in the accommodation.

Well I just emailed them a few days ago and explained why i couldn't pay before and that I was ill (still am suffering from it, getting treated thru NHS has been a nightmare). And asked them whether I could be released from the contract.

As a result they asked me for proof that i didn't go to uni + proof of my medical issue, so I sent them proof that i wasn't a student and hospital letters confirming my diagnosis.

I know they can technically still say I'm liable, what I'm asking is is there a chance they release me from the contract? Given that they asked for proof of medical issue rather than writing me off immediately, i presume they're taking it into account. Is it possible?
Last edited by theperformer; 1 month ago
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by theperformer)
So I was supposed to start LPC last year. I had signed on for a tenancy at an accommodation too. Unfortunately due to an illness (central sleep apnea), I couldn't go on to do LPC so I withdrew before the course began.

Was feeling symptoms for a while but they suddenly got worse. Symptoms were fatigue, tiredness, waking up to pee during the night, etc. I suddenly began waking up 5-6x a night to pee. Found out thru hospital test it was central sleep apnea, which means that my brain stops sending signal to my body to breathe during sleep. i'm literally suffocating in my sleep, but unlike obstructive sleep apnea (more common), i can't fix mine with a C-Pap device or weight loss.

Problem is that I had already signed on for a tenancy and was told I was liable for rent. I tried re-letting my room and finding someone to take over my tenancy, but couldn't find anyone. Accommodation people didn't know about my illness at this time.

But I'm not a student at the university near the accommodation nor have I ever even set foot in the accommodation.

Well I just emailed them a few days ago and explained why i couldn't pay before and that I was ill (still am suffering from it, getting treated thru NHS has been a nightmare). And asked them whether I could be released from the contract.

As a result they asked me for proof that i didn't go to uni + proof of my medical issue, so I sent them proof that i wasn't a student and hospital letters confirming my diagnosis.

I know they can technically still say I'm liable, what I'm asking is is there a chance they release me from the contract? Given that they asked for proof of medical issue rather than writing me off immediately, i presume they're taking it into account. Is it possible?
It's possible - depends on the contract wording and whether they feel charitable.

Would be bad publicity for them if they won't release you by putting others off contracting with them - especially through a pandemic and the power of social media.

Hope for the best but don't place all your hopes on it. Prepare for disappointment and you will cover all bases.

Good luck and best wishes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.03%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (10)
15.15%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (10)
15.15%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
12.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
37.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (11)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed