RedVelvet16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Did Yalta improve or worsen superpower relation in 1945? And how did it do that?
dan140804
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedVelvet16)
Did Yalta improve or worsen superpower relation in 1945? And how did it do that?
GCSE history i’m guessing?

It really depends on your interpretation of the events. The Yalta conference saw the Allies meet and agree on what to do with Germany (split it up) and also set up the United Nations which in theory brings countries closer together. They also agreed Nazi-controlled states to be able to hold free-democratic elections.
However, Stalin also suggested the sphere of influence, where communism would dominate and i doubt the Americans took this lightly.

Overall, to a superpower relations point of view the only point worth mentioning of the yalta conference is the sphere of influence which then saw the American reaction of the Truman Doctrine and Marshall plan (Stalin accused the US of imperialism with this, worsening relationship) which highlighted the two distinct visions for the world- capitalism and free democracy vs communism.
The only other things that i can think of that had significance to relations between 1945-49 was the Berlin blockade and USSR developing an atomic bomb starting an arms race essentially.
RedVelvet16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by danm26)
GCSE history i’m guessing?

It really depends on your interpretation of the events. The Yalta conference saw the Allies meet and agree on what to do with Germany (split it up) and also set up the United Nations which in theory brings countries closer together. They also agreed Nazi-controlled states to be able to hold free-democratic elections.
However, Stalin also suggested the sphere of influence, where communism would dominate and i doubt the Americans took this lightly.

Overall, to a superpower relations point of view the only point worth mentioning of the yalta conference is the sphere of influence which then saw the American reaction of the Truman Doctrine and Marshall plan (Stalin accused the US of imperialism with this, worsening relationship) which highlighted the two distinct visions for the world- capitalism and free democracy vs communism.
The only other things that i can think of that had significance to relations between 1945-49 was the Berlin blockade and USSR developing an atomic bomb starting an arms race essentially.
Yes, iGCSE History!

Ahh that makes sense -- thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads