sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm going into year 13 in September and up until now, I have been looking at doing biology at university. However, I have since realised that I would much prefer biochemistry, and am wondering if it is too late to change my mind? (I mean I know they're not extremely different but at my school especially they do put pressure on you to decide fairly quickly). I also want to know if anyone who has done/is doing biochemistry or knows anything about it would be able to give their opinion on whether it is a good degree to do. Thanks in advance!
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No it's not, UCAS deadline is far away usually in January. As long as you're doing the correct subjects it's no where near too late (unless you start thinking of med/dentistry which the deadline is in October)
Your school is very irresponsible for that, of course it's not good to be indecisive but at the same time they shouldn't pressure you to this point where you're thinking it's too late when it's barely started. I hope other people aren't silenced into one initial decision
sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
No it's not, UCAS deadline is far away usually in January. As long as you're doing the correct subjects it's no where near too late (unless you start thinking of med/dentistry which the deadline is in October)
Your school is very irresponsible for that, of course it's not good to be indecisive but at the same time they shouldn't pressure you to this point where you're thinking it's too late when it's barely started. I hope other people aren't silenced into one initial decision
Thanks for the reply! I think the reason that we are encouraged to decide fairly soon is because so many people are applying to oxbridge/medicine so they make everyone start early - its still annoying tho
fatimalatif806
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunny225)
I'm going into year 13 in September and up until now, I have been looking at doing biology at university. However, I have since realised that I would much prefer biochemistry, and am wondering if it is too late to change my mind? (I mean I know they're not extremely different but at my school especially they do put pressure on you to decide fairly quickly). I also want to know if anyone who has done/is doing biochemistry or knows anything about it would be able to give their opinion on whether it is a good degree to do. Thanks in advance!
Never too late! I applied this year for a different degree and then switched my course to biochemistry a few months after. Please also don’t let your school put pressure on you to apply fast as the deadline is in January for a reason and you will have plenty of time to think about which course you want to apply. That’s one thing I wish I had realised.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would it be too late? You've not yet applied, so provided you are taking the appropriate subjects there isn't any reason to suppose you couldn't apply successfully to a different course than you originally planned.

Spoiler:
Show

Something to bear in mind is that biochemistry degrees in the UK are largely degrees in molecular/cell biology i.e. biology using the language of chemistry. There is usually some chemistry in them, but it isn't going to explicitly be a substantial part of the degree at most unis. So if your main interest is in chemistry and you are interested in biological chemistry (i.e. chemistry applied to biological systems) then you may want to explore chemistry degrees as an option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads