Having to repeat myself over and over again at mum

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Me (18) my brother (24) always have to repeat things over and over again at our mum, it gets frustrating because either she hears wrong and that’s why we have to repeat things over or she just simply doesn’t process it and take it in. It would be different if it’s a casual conversation but it’s not it would be things she would ask us and want to know the answer too. Today my brother got annoyed and said to not ask about his situation which is pretty hurtful and she was upset. I do also get annoyed but I don’t say anything I’ll regret I’ll just say ‘I’ve said this 4 times before , how many times do I have to repeat it myself?’
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Me (18) my brother (24) always have to repeat things over and over again at our mum, it gets frustrating because either she hears wrong and that’s why we have to repeat things over or she just simply doesn’t process it and take it in. It would be different if it’s a casual conversation but it’s not it would be things she would ask us and want to know the answer too. Today my brother got annoyed and said to not ask about his situation which is pretty hurtful and she was upset. I do also get annoyed but I don’t say anything I’ll regret I’ll just say ‘I’ve said this 4 times before , how many times do I have to repeat it myself?’
Whiteboards and noticeboards. Write things down on lists and cards and stick them up on the wall in lists and organised areas.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How old is she? Could it be (early onset) dementia, by any chance?

No doubt it's a frustrating situation for you but you might wanna get your mum to go to the GP, to check
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
How old is she? Could it be (early onset) dementia, by any chance?

No doubt it's a frustrating situation for you but you might wanna get your mum to go to the GP, to check
She’s 49 this year
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Maybe she's just multi tasking and has reached saturation point. When she asks something she hears the reply but because in her mind she's already moved on to the next thing to be done she doesn't really register it. Basically she's not concentrating because she's on overload, or as you suggest, maybe she has a hearing problem. It starts at around 50 for some people.
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think there's anything medically wrong? Do you speak in her first language? I understand it can definitely be frustrating, but (especially if this is a new thing that she had not exhibited previously) it could be cause for concern in terms of her health.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
16.52%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.96%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
6.09%
I need help with my personal statement (44)
38.26%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (28)
24.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
1.74%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads