Ellepper
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have two part time jobs.

First job is at a tourist attraction, 3 days a week, 9 hours a day. I’ve been there for 4 years.

Second job is a local government office job, 2 days a week, 7 and a half hours a day. I’ve been there for 2 years.

My first job is very physically demanding, standing for 9 hours a day with two 30 min breaks and surrounded by up to 8,000 people a day pre-COVID. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. After the third lockdown I really was not looking forward to coming back. I put it down to being at home and that over time I would get used to it and enjoy it again. It’s been 3 months and I still don’t enjoy it. Yesterday was my first shift back after being on annual leave for 2 weeks and I already felt exhausted and It wasn’t even 8am yet, I always come home with a headache and I’ve noticed I seem to moan/complain about things more than the good things.
The job is in shifts so I work different days a week and get one weekend off every 4 weeks. Hours are also different. I could start at 7am and finish at 4pm on one day and start at 1pm and finish at 10pm the next.
I live with my parents and I don’t drive yet so I rely on my parents to take me. Just the journey on its own is exhausting, it takes about 30 minutes to get there on a good day. On a busy day or during rush hour, it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour each way providing there are no disruptions in traffic (eg, accidents).
If I were to leave, it would be a huge weight lifted off of my family as it would not only mean we aren’t doing the journey there and back (at least 2 hours every day) but we would also get to spend weekends together and plan our lives as currently, everything me, my sister and our parents do, revolves around the days and hours I work.

I came home yesterday and said I think it was time for a change. I have discussed it at work today and have my email ready to send, but I’m really doubting it now and I kind of feel like I don’t want to do it. Is this normal?

I have plans for what I will do if I leave as my second job have been begging me to go full time with them for two years, since I started with them. So if I leave, I will go full time with them. They are also about a 4/5 minute drive from my house so the commuting is almost nothing.

I won’t be losing out on money by leaving as by going full time with my second job, I will be earning about the same as what I currently earn with both part time jobs put together.

I’m kind of getting worried because now that it’s becoming real, I don’t want to leave..

Any advice?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellepper)
I have two part time jobs.

First job is at a tourist attraction, 3 days a week, 9 hours a day. I’ve been there for 4 years.

Second job is a local government office job, 2 days a week, 7 and a half hours a day. I’ve been there for 2 years.

My first job is very physically demanding, standing for 9 hours a day with two 30 min breaks and surrounded by up to 8,000 people a day pre-COVID. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now. After the third lockdown I really was not looking forward to coming back. I put it down to being at home and that over time I would get used to it and enjoy it again. It’s been 3 months and I still don’t enjoy it. Yesterday was my first shift back after being on annual leave for 2 weeks and I already felt exhausted and It wasn’t even 8am yet, I always come home with a headache and I’ve noticed I seem to moan/complain about things more than the good things.
The job is in shifts so I work different days a week and get one weekend off every 4 weeks. Hours are also different. I could start at 7am and finish at 4pm on one day and start at 1pm and finish at 10pm the next.
I live with my parents and I don’t drive yet so I rely on my parents to take me. Just the journey on its own is exhausting, it takes about 30 minutes to get there on a good day. On a busy day or during rush hour, it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 hour each way providing there are no disruptions in traffic (eg, accidents).
If I were to leave, it would be a huge weight lifted off of my family as it would not only mean we aren’t doing the journey there and back (at least 2 hours every day) but we would also get to spend weekends together and plan our lives as currently, everything me, my sister and our parents do, revolves around the days and hours I work.

I came home yesterday and said I think it was time for a change. I have discussed it at work today and have my email ready to send, but I’m really doubting it now and I kind of feel like I don’t want to do it. Is this normal?

I have plans for what I will do if I leave as my second job have been begging me to go full time with them for two years, since I started with them. So if I leave, I will go full time with them. They are also about a 4/5 minute drive from my house so the commuting is almost nothing.

I won’t be losing out on money by leaving as by going full time with my second job, I will be earning about the same as what I currently earn with both part time jobs put together.

I’m kind of getting worried because now that it’s becoming real, I don’t want to leave..

Any advice?
By the sounds of it it's a no brainer.
I'd quit the job and go full time at the other.
Ellepper
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
By the sounds of it it's a no brainer.
I'd quit the job and go full time at the other.
I’ve handed it in now. I never thought it could be so hard to leave. It’s become so real :cry2:
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve handed it in now. I never thought it could be so hard to leave. It’s become so real :cry2:
Once you have gone full time at your other place and have been there a week, it will be fine.
Polyvore Expert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well done! Take a day off!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads