Fell for a scam

Watch
samjohnson01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My sister saw one of the ‘win £750 on asos’ scam ads on tiktok and she fell for it, she has never fallen for a scam before but because this one was on a site as legitimate as tiktok so she didn’t think anything of it.. which is understandable and I’m sure a lot of people have done at the moment on tiktok..

To “win” the £750 voucher she had to put in her address, email, phone number and DOB. She didn’t give any bank details as she isn’t that stupid

She realised it was a scam when she received a text shortly after from a regular number with a link to continue, she didn’t click it as the link didn’t look legit at all.

What can scammers do with the information she gave?
She is now scared she has put us in danger by giving the address and feels rather stupid now as she’s never fallen for a scam before.

(Btw, she did this on a night out heavily under the influence)
Last edited by samjohnson01; 1 month ago
mathsalevels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They won’t do much, they’re not going to come and kill you. You’ll probably just get a few scam phone calls.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fwhite1492)
Hi Sam, I'm sorry to hear this has happened. I'm a journalist for Channel 4 News who is looking in to these ads on TikTok and I'd be really interested to hear more about your sister's experience with this.
Creepy. Warning to everyone else: don't share your personal details with this person who joined today and has 1 post, it's another scam.
HaydenFordz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Creepy. Warning to everyone else: don't share your personal details with this person who joined today and has 1 post, it's another scam.
Hopefully even the most brain dead of TSR users would be able to figure that out
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HaydenFordz)
Hopefully even the most brain dead of TSR users would be able to figure that out
Given the number of users on here that fall for scams and fraud, you never know lol.
Harry_Horatio
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My sister told me their was a Asos survey to win a gift card so I thought that looks legit and let her fill it in for me. I feel kinda stupid now and wish I had looked at it more. Has anything partially bad happened as a result. I didn't put any bank details just my name, address and phone number and email. Will I just get spam texts and emails. Is there anything I can do.
HaydenFordz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Given the number of users on here that fall for scams and fraud, you never know lol.
good point :rofl:
HaydenFordz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harry_Horatio)
My sister told me their was a Asos survey to win a gift card so I thought that looks legit and let her fill it in for me. I feel kinda stupid now and wish I had looked at it more. Has anything partially bad happened as a result. I didn't put any bank details just my name, address and phone number and email. Will I just get spam texts and emails. Is there anything I can do.
silence unknown callers on iPhone, and use a spam email for those, im currently sitting at 16k emails where I signed up to dubious things, all dont use your real name and address
Cryoraptor
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They will probably sell the information to other scammers so she might start getting scam texts and phone calls, and maybe emails as well. As long as she doesn't answer any calls or open any links she will be fine. They can't do much else without bank details.

In future she should use an adblocker on browsers and not click on any ads in apps.
katran1220
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Has anything happened since?
WazzWazz98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How on earth is tiktok legit ? 😅
katran1220
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harry_Horatio)
Since this has happened have you received any spam calls or emails?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads