The Student Room Group

clearing???uni???travel???

right so here’s a tricky one.

i was supposed to travel in my gap year (which is now), i just finished college and plan on going to uni in a year because i feel so burnt out and i can’t deal with any studying right now.

but i can’t really travel so do i compromise on my gap year and do it half arsed or do i apply through clearing and go to uni this year?

and also how does clearing work?

and also if i was to go what happens if i needed to drop out?

my health is really bad right now but i need to get out of my hometown, what would the best thing be to do??

i know it’s subjective but i can’t ask anyone else. i’m in a sticky situation.
Take a year out.
You are clearly in no state to go to Uni - and Clearing without a definite idea of what you want to do, and why, is not a bright idea or one that will make you feel less stressed. The fact that you are already asking about dropping out - dont go this year, just dont.

Get a job - any job. Earn some money.
Spend the next few months working out what you want to study and researching courses/going to Open Days.
Apply for Uni at Christmas.
By then it will be much clearer what travel is possible and what you could do for the rest of the year.
To go through clearing, you will need to make a UCAS application. You'll then phone unis once you have your results and (hopefully) get some informal offers- these will have a short deadline, 24 or 48 hours is usual. Once you have a few offers you are happy with, you'll need to decide which one to accept and add this to UCAS.

Clearing is a fast moving and stressful process, and if you're unsure about what you want to do, it may not be the right route for you.

In general, going to uni on any random course to escape your hometown is not a good idea!

If you need to drop out, you'll have lost a year of student finance- which could be a problem in the future. You may also end up owing a year's worth of rent, particularly if you are not living in uni halls.

Dropping out isn't the end of the world, but it isn't great, either. Going to uni already thinking about dropping out probably isn't a great idea.
You don’t have to go to university to leave your hometown.

It’s still possible to travel- it’s just better to plan to spend 3/4 months in each place and maybe even working instead of doing the tourist thing.

When you say your health is bad what exactly do you mean?
not too sure, maybe check with the uni.
Original post by luna211203
right so here’s a tricky one.

i was supposed to travel in my gap year (which is now), i just finished college and plan on going to uni in a year because i feel so burnt out and i can’t deal with any studying right now.

but i can’t really travel so do i compromise on my gap year and do it half arsed or do i apply through clearing and go to uni this year?

and also how does clearing work?

and also if i was to go what happens if i needed to drop out?

my health is really bad right now but i need to get out of my hometown, what would the best thing be to do??

i know it’s subjective but i can’t ask anyone else. i’m in a sticky situation.

Hey, sorry to hear about your health. It's more important than ever for us to take care of both the physical and mental health.
If you feel you aren't ready for Uni this year thats perfectly fine. I'd suggest taking on volunteer jobs (it could give a sense of being part of something bigger than yourself) if you can't travel, discover more of your interests and then begin Uni with a fresh mind and knowing you're there because you want to be there not because circumstances forced you. Good luck.

Lee-UoP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending