The Student Room Group

Fitting in at uni

I’m really worried about fitting in at uni because I have never kissed anyone or really been properly drunk which I know isn’t a big deal but I feel as though people at uni will know what their doing whereas I won’t
Original post by Anonymous
I’m really worried about fitting in at uni because I have never kissed anyone or really been properly drunk which I know isn’t a big deal but I feel as though people at uni will know what their doing whereas I won’t

You’ll be fine
This isn’t anything you have to worry about

I was in the same position as you this time last year. If drinking and stuff is something you want to get into, then it should be something you pick up quite quickly so you don’t need to worry about that. Similarly if it’s something that you don’t want to get into, that’s perfectly ok too as I know a few people who don’t and have still settled in well.

Hello! :smile:

I wouldn't worry about fitting in at uni because everyone is in the same boat when they move away from home. Its a completely alien experience and everyone is busy learning how to live independently etc. so they won't be worried that you don't have much experience with some of the things you mention above, besides, you go to university to find yourself and explore different aspects of life that you wouldn't have the opportunity to do so at home.

Going out clubbing isn't the only aspect of university. You'll meet people on your course with similar interests and there are also sports cubs and societies you can join.

Have a great first year, good luck with your course!

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
(edited 2 years ago)

Hi there :smile:

I hope you're well - I'm so sorry to hear your worried about fitting in at University.

University is definitely a 'what you make of it' kind of experience. Having these types of feelings are completely normal, as going to University is something quite alien for a lot of people (it certainly felt like that for me, and my now university best friends!). The University environment isn't really like high school / college, everyone is just doing their own thing - and that is what makes it so amazing. You'll eventually get chatting to people, and you'll choose to be friends with people who have the same interests, hobbies, beliefs etc. as you. My advice would be to, as hard as it is, try not to think about it too much - as making friends just happens naturally and isn't really something you can plan. Everyone's in the same boat - don't forget that :biggrin:

I hope that's eased some of your worries, don't hesitate to message if I can help / re-assure you further :smile:

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Reply 5

Don't worry about fitting in at uni as especially if your going into uni this year the people going into second year haven't really had a chance to meet each other irl much so your on a even playing field due to covid and online learning

Quick Reply

Latest