mathperson
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The delightful Michael Gove MP has claimed that you are "selfish" if you choose not to have the coronavirus vaccine.

I find this kind of emotional manipulation disturbing.

Firstly, we live in a democracy where individuals are regarded as having liberty and freedom to make their own choices.

Secondly, the vaccine does not prevent one from getting the virus or becoming a carrier.

Just another government bureaucrat trying to emotionally manipulate us into doing what they want.

I won't be getting the vaccine.

"Why?", I hear you ask.

Because I don't want to.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be fair, I wouldn't do anything that Gove says to do.
sunshine774
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exactly, everyone has free will and their choice should be respected.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

It's so obvious they have an ulterior motive because of how pushy they are being about the whole thing. And how many ultimatums they're giving.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What is the point of this post? Yes, we live in a democracy and you have a right to be selfish. Everybody else also has a right to call you out on being selfish because you are putting everybody else at greater risk with your actions. You're welcome to disagree with this, but nobody is going to care because there is overwhelming scientific evidence that proves you wrong. Your actions do not suddenly become not selfish just because you don't like being branded as such. You're basically moaning about other people having the audacity to call you out for what you are. Pretty pathetic, really.
Last edited by Plagioclase; 1 month ago
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You're right, we have the freedom to make our own choices, including selfish ones.
The vaccine may not always prevent someone getting the virus (I got it after both doses) but it does significantly improve the symptoms and reduce hospitalisation.
You can do whatever you want and at the same time other people can formulate an opinion on your actions. If people dislike you or think you're selfish then that's that
nerviodor
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is a pretty controversial topic. On one side vaccines have helped save many lives but on the other side your body is yours and you get to decide what to do with it.
Last edited by nerviodor; 1 month ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is selfish. The overwhelming medical evidence is that, if you have the vaccine, it reduces your chances of getting covid-19 and possibly needing NHS support and of you transmitting it to someone else. Your choice not to have it, my choice to think you're inconsiderate and selfish.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mathperson)

"Why?", I hear you ask.

Because I don't want to.
People who don't get vaccinated just because they "don't want to" are selfish.

At least own it and stop trying to make up excuses in your head.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The delightful Michael Gove MP has claimed that you are "selfish" if you choose not to have the coronavirus vaccine.

I find this kind of emotional manipulation disturbing.

Firstly, we live in a democracy where individuals are regarded as having liberty and freedom to make their own choices.

Secondly, the vaccine does not prevent one from getting the virus or becoming a carrier.

Just another government bureaucrat trying to emotionally manipulate us into doing what they want.

"Why?", I hear you ask.

Because I don't want to.
He’s right.

The vaccination is extremely safe, yet the larger the population without COVID antibodies the greater the risk that future waves severely disrupt society.

Choosing not to get vaccinated is putting your personal preferences over the benefit of society.

Your not being forced to get vaccinated but don’t shy away from the decisions implications.
Last edited by mnot; 1 month ago
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry that you see facts as emotion manipulation. Maybe if you weren't so selfish you wouldn't be offended
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve been volunteering in a vaccination centre for weeks. If you’re not on the frontline in some capacity, the very least you can do is to get both of your vaccines. Choose some other issue on which to make a stand. Not this one.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
He’s right.

The vaccination is extremely safe, yet the larger the population without COVID antibodies the greater the risk that future waves disrupt severely society.

Choosing not to get vaccinated is putting your personal preferences over the benefit of society.

Your not being forced to get vaccinated but don’t shy away from the decisions implications.
PRSOM
lisxnxli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've personally had mine and will get my second dose somewhere in September. At the end of the day, the choice is up to everyone whether they decide to get it or not but saying that you 'won't get it' it is in fact selfish whether you want to admit it or not. I can see how the govt's tactics could be seen as coercive but if you put the why into perspective it makes sense. Putting a lot of unvaccinated people into crowded spaces with no safety precautions is just a breeding ground for disease and while you as a young person may have virtually nothing to worry about, who's to say that you won't be passing it on to someone who doesn't have youth or a healthy immune system on their side?
Last edited by lisxnxli; 1 month ago
mathperson
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
What is the point of this post? Yes, we live in a democracy and you have a right to be selfish. Everybody else also has a right to call you out on being selfish because you are putting everybody else at greater risk with your actions. You're welcome to disagree with this, but nobody is going to care because there is overwhelming scientific evidence that proves you wrong. Your actions do not suddenly become not selfish just because you don't like being branded as such. You're basically moaning about other people having the audacity to call you out for what you are. Pretty pathetic, really.
How is it selfish when getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you from becoming a carrier?
lorry237
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunshine774)
Exactly, everyone has free will and their choice should be respected.

You shouldn't have to explain yourself.

It's so obvious they have an ulterior motive because of how pushy they are being about the whole thing. And how many ultimatums they're giving.
the "ulterior motive" = ending a pandemic that killed over 4M people worldwide...
lorry237
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

And everyone else has the "liberty and freedom" to judge you for making these - selfish - choices

as for the second one: herd immunity (which can only be achieved through vaccinations)
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lorry237)
the "ulterior motive" = ending a pandemic that killed over 4M people worldwide...
It can also leave people with harrowing life-long effects. It also overwhelmed our health services and meant that people couldn't get life-saving treatments, so indirectly that number is probably more. Besides that, it's only been around since the end of 2019, so that's still a fair number when you think of them all as individuals leaving loved ones behind to grieve.
Last edited by ashtolga23; 1 month ago
mathperson
Rep:
?
(Original post by lorry237)
And everyone else has the "liberty and freedom" to judge you for making these - selfish - choices

as for the second one: herd immunity (which can only be achieved through vaccinations)
I disagree.
It is not acceptable for people to use their liberty and freedom to cast judgement on others simply because they made different choices than they did.
lorry237
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How is it selfish when getting the vaccine doesn't prevent you from becoming a carrier?
In April, Public Health England reported the results of a large study of COVID-19 transmission involving more than 365,000 households with a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated members.

It found immunisation with either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccine reduced the chance of onward virus transmission by 40-60%. This means that if someone became infected after being vaccinated, they were only around half as likely to pass their infection on to others compared to infected people who weren’t vaccinated.

also, again - herd immunity
lorry237
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree.
It is not acceptable for people to use their liberty and freedom to cast judgement on others simply because they made different choices than they did.
That would be the case if the choice in question affected you and only you, whereas this one affects our society as a whole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads