b.ahmed3011
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am very confused on which one would be better I was thinking optometry since I am more interested in physics and biology than chemistry but I heard a lot of mixed opinions on both. Which one is better in the long term?
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think about them in terms of career choice. There are a lot of loud pharmacy critics here and elsewhere but honestly do your research. If you can, try arranging to shadow an optometrist/pharmacist or ask them questions. If your end goal is a career in either one, you need to find out which one you'll enjoy working and progressing with
mygradesarecrap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can only speak for pharmacy as im doing my training year rn, honestly you need to experience the actual working environment to see if you can imagine yourself doing the job 9-5. Pharmacy has MANY avenues to choose fromand defo room to further your career eg. Become an indeoendant prescriber, clinical pharmacist, senior pharmacist etc etc and ofc that increase your salary too. Im pretty sure optometry also will have different routes to go into. I will say tho, the pharmacy degree has a huge aspect of chemistry involved but just as much (if not more) biology, and small aspects of physics (spectroscopy). Both degrees are going to be complicated and teach subjects you may dislike, best advice is to sign up for webinars on careers in pharmavy/optometry or just network and get experience
lisxnxli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll be starting pharmacy in September and pretty much everyone on the internet/ forums will tell you not to do Pharmacy due to career progression and pay prospects. It can also be intense with poor management. You really have to decided if what it entails is something you can forgive and overlook because otherwise the negatives will make you despise it even if Pharmacy is interesting to you. Obviously it's not impossible to find a pharmacy job with good pay in the South but it's not something that's readily available. If you care about making money then Wales or Scotland would be better, but it's up to you if that's a move you would want to take. Also, you say you're less interested in chemistry but the scientific side of Pharmacy is mostly Chemistry related- even the biological sides are explained on a more chemical-scale from what I've read.
b.ahmed3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
Think about them in terms of career choice. There are a lot of loud pharmacy critics here and elsewhere but honestly do your research. If you can, try arranging to shadow an optometrist/pharmacist or ask them questions. If your end goal is a career in either one, you need to find out which one you'll enjoy working and progressing with
Thank you I do try but I don’t really have time for shadowing and am depending on others opinions
b.ahmed3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by lisxnxli)
I'll be starting pharmacy in September and pretty much everyone on the internet/ forums will tell you not to do Pharmacy due to career progression and pay prospects. It can also be intense with poor management. You really have to decided if what it entails is something you can forgive and overlook because otherwise the negatives will make you despise it even if Pharmacy is interesting to you. Obviously it's not impossible to find a pharmacy job with good pay in the South but it's not something that's readily available. If you care about making money then Wales or Scotland would be better, but it's up to you if that's a move you would want to take. Also, you say you're less interested in chemistry but the scientific side of Pharmacy is mostly Chemistry related- even the biological sides are explained on a more chemical-scale from what I've read.
Yh I said I really am not interested in chemistry that much but if I have no choice then I’ll just do pharmacy, thank you. Yes I do care about the pay as well, I heard pharmacy is very oversaturated, right now there are more negatives with pharmacy than optometry.
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by b.ahmed3011)
Yh I said I really am not interested in chemistry that much but if I have no choice then I’ll just do pharmacy, thank you. Yes I do care about the pay as well, I heard pharmacy is very oversaturated, right now there are more negatives with pharmacy than optometry.
If you're worried about saturation, of course it depends on area but I live in a major city and I have optometrist friends who all easily got jobs at Specsavers, Boots, Optic Express etc...Since the private service is quite big, once you progress the average salary tends to be 50k + and there are routes into store management/ opening your own etc...
But tbh, maybe it's my refugee parents but Pharmacy is more 'prestige' apparently. It's all about the bigger picture though and what career is sustainable and stable for your future. (Enjoying is key, pick what you enjoy)
Kaleef
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do none
b.ahmed3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
If you're worried about saturation, of course it depends on area but I live in a major city and I have optometrist friends who all easily got jobs at Specsavers, Boots, Optic Express etc...Since the private service is quite big, once you progress the average salary tends to be 50k + and there are routes into store management/ opening your own etc...
But tbh, maybe it's my refugee parents but Pharmacy is more 'prestige' apparently. It's all about the bigger picture though and what career is sustainable and stable for your future. (Enjoying is key, pick what you enjoy)
Yh apparently pharmacy is more “popular” but I am leaning towards optometry tbh because I have researched a lot and I am feeling more interested in it than pharmacy.
b.ahmed3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaleef)
Do none
Why not
Last edited by b.ahmed3011; 1 month ago
Kaleef
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by b.ahmed3011)
Why not
Because you'll be spending loads of money going to university. Get a job in something else
b.ahmed3011
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaleef)
Because you'll be spending loads of money going to university. Get a job in something else
I want to go university though I want a degree it’s helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (27)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (26)
16.15%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (23)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
27.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (28)
17.39%

Watched Threads