What should I do?

Watch
Ivyreign
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 18 now. I’ve done Karate since I was 6 till I was 15 and for the past 3 years I’ve done taekwondo but it’s basically the same thing. I’ve done loads of comps and a few at national level where I’ve done really well. I came close to the GB team but just missed out. My coach says I’m the best female he’s ever trained for my age and he’s trained Gb fighters before and he seems too think I’ll make the 2024 teams no problem but I don’t think so as I’m sure I would of heard by now. The only thing is I’m going to university in September. There is no way I can continue to train 5 days a week even if I manage to find a national level club in the city my uni is in. When I finish uni I will be 21 nearly 22 but I won’t be in shape for the 2024 games if I cut my training down because of uni. So my then I’m looking at 2028 which by then I’ll be 26. I know that is young but to just be competing in my first games at that age seems rather old does it not? I feel that 22 is still old for the first and I’m gutted I missed this year. What do I do? I’ve watched the taekwondo on tv today and I just kept thinking that should be me.

1. Do i forget it and focus on university and my career?

2. Not go to uni and carry on training and make 2024?

3. Find a club in my new city and try to train as much as I can too be ready for 2024? (Unlikely as being an athlete is a full time thing)

4. Finish university and train after for 2028?

I think option 4 is what I’m going for but my main question is am I too old?
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a family member who deferred uni for two years to continue training, but didn’t make the team despite it being the focus of his entire life for over a decade. Brutal times. He graduated recently and still competes at an international level, but continues to hold that feeling of what might have been. At your level, you have to go for it, whilst knowing, acutely, that it might not go your way.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
I have a family member who deferred uni for two years to continue training, but didn’t make the team despite it being the focus of his entire life for over a decade. Brutal times. He graduated recently and still competes at an international level, but continues to hold that feeling of what might have been. At your level, you have to go for it, whilst knowing, acutely, that it might not go your way.
That’s what I’m thinking do I go to uni so I still have my back up. 2028 is more likely but do you think 26 is too old too?
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
That’s what I’m thinking do I go to uni so I still have my back up. 2028 is more likely but do you think 26 is too old too?
I’m not qualified to give you an answer of any value to that specific question.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
I’m not qualified to give you an answer of any value to that specific question.
Thanks for your answer anyway. I’m going to focus on 2028. Would rather go to LA than Paris anyway ahah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads