Are these wider reading books for Economics too 'basic'?

Watch
Hey17
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,
I'm applying to study Economics at uni this year (ideally Cambridge would be my top preference) and am trying to finalise my personal statement. I'm starting to worry that the books I've mentioned (Undercover Economist very briefly in passing) and 23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism are what majority of people put and not very impressive. So far, I'm over the character limit and looking to cut down (I've talked about courses, talks, articles and an essay comp) but I'm worried my reading is weak. I've just started another book - Good Economics for Hard Times. Any thoughts/advice?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For beginners, they don't seem to be basic in the sense that virtually anyone besides students and professionals can read and understand thoroughly.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not about how complicated the books you've read are, but what you're able to say about the reading that you've done. You could list loads of books, but that wouldn't tell us anything about your understanding of them, your analysis or connections you've made in your reading. It's much more important to give us your own perspective on what you've read than to list 'impressive' books without more. Also, an entry-level book that can help you get to grips with the subject or introduce you to fundamental concepts is probably much more useful than a higher level text that you struggle to understand.

Hope this helps!
Hey17
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
For beginners, they don't seem to be basic in the sense that virtually anyone besides students and professionals can read and understand thoroughly.
Ahh thank you!
Hey17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
It's not about how complicated the books you've read are, but what you're able to say about the reading that you've done. You could list loads of books, but that wouldn't tell us anything about your understanding of them, your analysis or connections you've made in your reading. It's much more important to give us your own perspective on what you've read than to list 'impressive' books without more. Also, an entry-level book that can help you get to grips with the subject or introduce you to fundamental concepts is probably much more useful than a higher level text that you struggle to understand.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much!
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hey17)
Ahh thank you!
I'm always glad to help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
2.74%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
15.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (12)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (8)
10.96%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (28)
38.36%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (12)
16.44%

Watched Threads