Think family member is depressed

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think my brother is depressed. I have thought this for a while now, but in the last month especially I have become more and more concerned. He’s 18 and dropped out of uni halfway through his first year because he said he “didn’t enjoy the course” which I found really difficult to believe because he was studying something he has always been passionate about. He’s now living at home and doesn’t do anything. He doesn’t even have a job. Anytime someone mentions to him to look for a job he just brushes it off and ignores the advice. He’s up until all hours in the morning and sleeping in til really late. His diet is awful - all he eats is junk. Almost everyday he asks me to take him to McDonalds because that is one of the few things he eats nowadays. Don’t get me wrong, he is not fat at all, actually he’s rather skinny, but I still find this pretty concerning. His hygiene is awful as well. He barely talks to me or anyone else in the family, but when he does it’s very brief and barely in proper sentences. The only time he goes out his when he’s with his friends and they’re drinking heavily. Just in general he seems so disinterested in absolutely everything. As I said before, this has been occurring for a long time but it’s only within the last month or so I’ve really noticed what’s been going on. I’m just so concerned for him in case he does something or (god forbid) even harm himself. I don’t even know if he is depressed, but it really seems that way. I don’t know what to do or who to speak to about this.
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think he seems depressed too. His sleeping patterns are unnatural, this doesn't help anything. Diet is atrocious. At least he has friends. Hopefully you get the replies needed, I've never seeked help for myself or anoher individual.
Last edited by urlocalinmate; 1 month ago
brionyvj
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
let him know that you're there for him if he needs it- how you say that is up to you since it might be weird being your brother. also, get involved and help him out with the little things- help tidy his room, eat healthy food, spend time with family etc. a lot of the time its this that can motivate and help people do make a change.
of course, therapy and psychiatrist help i believe are incredibly beneficial but its hard to get to that stage where they will reach out. but its amazing that you see this for what it is instead of just thinking hes 'lazy' like many people do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads