Irrelevant GCSE's for the degree I'm interested in, what can I do for my PS?

Watch
alissiagrace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE and hadn't even thought about uni. I chose options I ended up not liking. I passed them all, at least, but now I want to do psychology and they aren't relevant (Spanish, Geography, Media, Art). It is difficult to get experience in psychology for personal statements and my GCSE's don't really back me up. Is there any way I can still stand a chance when applying to universities?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't think it's likely to matter at all - I've never actually heard of anyone mentioning GCSEs in their PS?

What's important is that you meet any entry requirements for the unis you're applying to, so A level or other grades and GCSE (usually just Maths and/or English), and that you can write a PS explaining why you want to do the subject. So why do you want to do Psych?
The Uniqueness
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
GCSEs don’t matter. All you need is to get 5 or more GCSEs including English, Maths and Science. The one that matters more is the A-Levels so have a look at the entry requirements to do A-Level Psychology etc
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't even need Psychology at A-Level. Universities will quite happily look favourably at Biology.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alissiagrace)
I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE and hadn't even thought about uni. I chose options I ended up not liking. I passed them all, at least, but now I want to do psychology and they aren't relevant (Spanish, Geography, Media, Art). It is difficult to get experience in psychology for personal statements and my GCSE's don't really back me up. Is there any way I can still stand a chance when applying to universities?
Psychology degrees don't demand relevant experience and wouldn't expect it this year due to covid. They don't care about GCSE subjects beyond a maths and English requirement they may have. On you ps you should talk about why you want to study Psychology at uni (you don't necessarily have to be aiming for a career in it) and link your A level subjects to it if possible.
lisxnxli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless you want to go to Oxbridge, what you got at GCSE isn’t that important. As long as you got at least a 5 in English Lang & maths, at least 6 for yoo unis, you’ll be fine. What’s more important is that you’ve picked the right A-Levels, most will want one of the following: Bio, Chem, Maths, Physics or Psychology. Top unis will want two.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alissiagrace)
alissiagrace
Hello! I am just finishing off my MSc in Psychology.

I think doing an A Level in Psychology would put you at a major advantage going forward. Students typically take a very social sciency route with Psychology, Criminology, and Sociology (which is the format of an Access to HE Social Science pathway), or just do Psychology with two other subjects. I think it might be worth having a look at the biology spec that might be a useful one.

You do not need relevant experience to do a psychology degree, I worked in Asda for 5 years

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldn't suggest talking about your GCSEs in your PS even if they WERE relevant in terms of subject, because the level at which yous tidied them makes them more or less irrelevant to unis in terms of gauging your ability to do well in a degree. I would think writing about GCSEs in a PS would be very strange and I feel like it might read to admissions tutors as you couldn't think of anything more relevant to write so you're just giving your educational history there instead - which is not what the PS is for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
18.92%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
10.81%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (13)
35.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads