The Student Room Group

headaches when learning a language

hey
does anyone else get this? i find that whenever i concentrate really hard on learning a new (difficult) point of grammar and doing lots of boring textbook exercises on it i get headaches

not only that but whenever i hear the language for long periods of time and have to concentrate on whats being said, i also get headaches.

im guessing this is fairly standard, does it happen to other people?
Reply 1
Take regular breaks and drink plenty of fluid.

Should help :smile:
you must have had a ******* migrane as a child then

yeah agreed i have to study spanish for like 15 mins then do some history or english and come back to it.
Reply 4
No, never. Do you also get this when you concentrate on something else? Like difficult maths problems or something? I guess you don't, because you don't have to do maths anymore but you get what I mean...?

PS: What I do get (but this is in no way specific to languages) is this enormous craving for chocolate.
Reply 5
blondeontheinside
ye agreed i hav 2 study spanish 4 lyk 15 mins then do sum history or english n come back to it

You should also learn English better :rolleyes:
Reply 6
lavalse
hey
does anyone else get this? i find that whenever i concentrate really hard on learning a new (difficult) point of grammar and doing lots of boring textbook exercises on it i get headaches

not only that but whenever i hear the language for long periods of time and have to concentrate on whats being said, i also get headaches.

im guessing this is fairly standard, does it happen to other people?

It happens to me when I have to open the Al-Kitaab fi Taalum' Al-Arabiyya only. Otherwise, I quite like my grammar books :h:
Reply 7
i dont understand why this doesnt happen to other people... hmmmm....

i hate that arabic textbook, my teacher had a little moan about it too today!!
Reply 8
lavalse
i dont understand why this doesnt happen to other people... hmmmm....

i hate that arabic textbook, my teacher had a little moan about it too today!!

It's just ugly and boring and particularly crappy. I really hate it. No that my Russian textbook is nicer, but at least there are funny little pics and the grammar points at not as boring as they are in the Al-Kitaab. Today we learnt about iDaafa, bleuargh, we had to explain it by ourselves, I doubt we really understood what it was about :rofl:
Reply 9
Anatheme
It's just ugly and boring and particularly crappy. I really hate it. No that my Russian textbook is nicer, but at least there are funny little pics and the grammar points at not as boring as they are in the Al-Kitaab. Today we learnt about iDaafa, bleuargh, we had to explain it by ourselves, I doubt we really understood what it was about :rofl:

hmmmmmm yeah the idaafa structure, we did that too and my teacher keeps making a big deal out of it but its so easy, i really dont see where the issue is! its not hard, but i guess if you had to work it out yourself then that would complicate things.....

today we did the verb 'layf' - which is the verb "to not be", which i found really funny. and also the verb 'koon' - "to be in the past tense".
Reply 10
lavalse
hmmmmmm yeah the idaafa structure, we did that too and my teacher keeps making a big deal out of it but its so easy, i really dont see where the issue is! its not hard, but i guess if you had to work it out yourself then that would complicate things.....

today we did the verb 'layf' - which is the verb "to not be", which i found really funny. and also the verb 'koon' - "to be in the past tense".

No verbs for us yet, we've seen the possession again and nominal/verbal sentences. Though, like in Russian, they don't use "to be" in the present tense :yeah:
Reply 11
Anatheme
No verbs for us yet, we've seen the possession again and nominal/verbal sentences. Though, like in Russian, they don't use "to be" in the present tense :yeah:

yep maltese has no verb "to be" in the present tense. if you think about its not really necessary. apparently russian also doesnt have a verb "to have" in the present tense? maltese doesnt either, but we have this other thing, thats not technically a verb!

and omg guess what, i think that next year i can take a Ukrainian paper, how cool is that? im so going to take it if i can :biggrin:
Reply 12
lavalse
yep maltese has no verb "to be" in the present tense. if you think about its not really necessary. apparently russian also doesnt have a verb "to have" in the present tense? maltese doesnt either, but we have this other thing, thats not technically a verb!

and omg guess what, i think that next year i can take a Ukrainian paper, how cool is that? im so going to take it if i can :biggrin:

Indeed, Arabic doesn't have "to have" either, you have to say "the book with me" for "I have a book", in Russian, you have a special construction as well, which is a bit nasty tbh :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending