How did your goals and life dreams evolve over time?

Watch
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How different are they from 3, 5 or 7 years ago?
Bowlol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
7 years ago i wanted to play video games for a living
5 years ago i wanted to make video games for a living
3 years ago i wanted to work on something programming related
Now currently studying Software Engineering
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never had any, I just fall into things and see where it takes me.
TFEU
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I didn’t really have life goal until I was like 15.

From 15-21, I was really career driven and only wanted to live independently in a big city. Making partner at a law firm before I’m 35 sounded so much better than getting married and having kids.

I’m currently 22, and lately I’ve learned to appreciate the importance of family and relationships. Idk what’s came over me but I suddenly want a more balanced life, living close to my family and maybe start my own one day. I still want to be financially independent, but it will be nice to also have a family life on top of my career.
Little pecker
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Progressively worse.

I went from billionaire at 30 when I was 14, millionaire when I was 30 at 20 to just wanting to own a house and pay for a wedding by 28 at 25 and worry about the other stuff later.

Still want to live abroad though.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Now I'm home educating 4 kids and preparing to start a new degree course. I hope to complete my studies and become a tutor.

Three years ago I was a comic convention organiser. My eldest child was home educated, but all three of my other kids were at school. I was hoping to become more successful in the event organisation industry.

Five years ago I was selling books at comic cons. All my kids were at school / nursery. I was still chasing the bestselling author dream.

Seven years ago I was writing books. My youngest child was a 1 year old at home. I was chasing the bestselling author dream.
IronM
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
5 years ago no goals
3 years ago sex with a hot girl
1 year ago sex with a hot girl
today sex with a hot girl
mspaghetti
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
7 years ago i knew i wanted a career in IT

5 years ago i took IT as a subject but my school scrapped everything I enjoyed. There was coding when I was introduced and no coding when I began the course so the only thing I enjoyed in school was science (chemistry, biology). At this time in my life, i was just really sad and scrapped my future plans.

3 years ago i went to a technology sixth form, coincidently, that year they had scrapped all IT courses the year I joined. I settled with science and engineering A-levels. Started a healthcare degree at university for 3 months and woke up. I don't know why i was doing a degree on a subject I've been settling on instead of doing what i originally wanted.

Now I'm at university and I'm doing computer science
tierny3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TFEU)
I didn’t really have life goal until I was like 15.

From 15-21, I was really career driven and only wanted to live independently in a big city. Making partner at a law firm before I’m 35 sounded so much better than getting married and having kids.

I’m currently 22, and lately I’ve learned to appreciate the importance of family and relationships. Idk what’s came over me but I suddenly want a more balanced life, living close to my family and maybe start my own one day. I still want to be financially independent, but it will be nice to also have a family life on top of my career.
I completely resonate with this. Its weird because the change hit me at 22 as well. I always thought earning money (and working in the best paid job that I could) would solve all my problems, but it wasn't until I interned at an Investment Bank whereby I saw all the MDs financially secure but all the other categories of their lifes at a much lower level relative to their finances that I realised WLB and balance in general is so important. Now I'm completely lost with what career I wanna do haha. I've also realised that the time I have between now and marriage/my own family is genuinely the only free time I have and I don't really want to spend a high % of it on a job/earning money.

How did you come to the realisation?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
7 years staring phd

5 years ago doing phd

3 years ago finishing phd
TFEU
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
I completely resonate with this. Its weird because the change hit me at 22 as well. I always thought earning money (and working in the best paid job that I could) would solve all my problems, but it wasn't until I interned at an Investment Bank whereby I saw all the MDs financially secure but all the other categories of their lifes at a much lower level relative to their finances that I realised WLB and balance in general is so important. Now I'm completely lost with what career I wanna do haha. I've also realised that the time I have between now and marriage/my own family is genuinely the only free time I have and I don't really want to spend a high % of it on a job/earning money.

How did you come to the realisation?
Haha, so 22 is the magic number?

Yeah I share the same sentiments. After completing some vac schemes, I realised that whilst I do enjoy the work, I don't know if I 'love' it enough for it to take up that much time of my life. I also realised that making partner but coming home to an empty apartment is just sad 🥲
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i suppose when I was younger I was scared of having to do things when I was older because I thought I would be in the same age of readiness and experience as I was when I was that younger age. So my dreams have become more accessible over time :yep:
tierny3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TFEU)
Haha, so 22 is the magic number?

Yeah I share the same sentiments. After completing some vac schemes, I realised that whilst I do enjoy the work, I don't know if I 'love' it enough for it to take up that much time of my life. I also realised that making partner but coming home to an empty apartment is just sad 🥲
Have you realised/decided what a good alternative is then? Working in tech where the hours are 45hrs per week maybe?
TFEU
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tierny3)
Have you realised/decided what a good alternative is then? Working in tech where the hours are 45hrs per week maybe?
Im not quite sure yet. I don’t mind slaving away in my 20s/early 30s to save a bit. After that, I might switch to academia or a firm with a better work-life balance?

There are also plenty of partners with a decent family life, so it’s definitely possible. I just don’t know how they do it 😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (6)
4.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
16.91%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.65%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
13.97%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (40)
29.41%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise