How easy/difficult is it for you to reach the property ladder?

Watch
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When did you or do you hope to get on the property ladder?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was 18, and it was in 2002. My house was a two bedroomed back to back terrace - just a fixer upper at the time. It wasn't particularly expensive. I put some savings towards it, and my mother helped with the rest.

I now have a three bedroomed semi-detached. No mortgage.

These days I can imagine it's very hard indeed to get on the property ladder.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 1 month ago
username1240252
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
I was 18, and it was in 2002. My house was a two bedroomed back to back terrace - just a fixer upper at the time. It wasn't particularly expensive. I put some savings towards it, and my mother helped with the rest.

That's amazing, did you save as you were living with the parents at the time? I guess that's the quickest way for most people
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Robert Walpole)
That's amazing, did you save as you were living with the parents at the time? I guess that's the quickest way for most people
Yeah I lived with my mam until 4 days before my 19th birthday (which is when I moved into my own house, after it had gone through the renovations).

I've worked since I was 13 part time.
I had three newspaper rounds when I was 13-15, as well as babysitting for two different families.
At 15 I started working for a family with an adult daughter who had severe cerebral palsy - I would help every Friday and Saturday evening (and occasional Sunday mornings) with feeding her, dressing her, taking her to the toilet, playing with her, and bathing her. I stayed working for this family until I was 19 alongside other jobs.
At 16-17 I used to do temp work for Leeds City Catering. I'd get sent all over the place. Once I was dumped in an ice-cream van and told to serve ice cream all day. I used to serve food and drink at a kiosk at Elland Road every time a Leeds match was played. I was sent to Doncaster racecourse once to serve canapes. You get the idea, it was pretty varied.
At 18 I started working Saturdays at Ainsleys (which was like Greggs).

So yeah I did a lot of things to try and save as much as I could.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got my first house when I was around 23.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

How did you clear your mortgage off so quickly?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
How did you clear your mortgage off so quickly?
I never had one. Well... I did, but... okay it's not as straight-forward as that.

So I had my first house owned outright. My mother also owned her house outright.

After living in my first house for 4 years, my mother and I decided to swap houses, as she wanted to downsize whereas I needed a bigger house. As her house was worth more than mine, after the exchange of contracts, I got a mortgage on the house I was moving into (the one that was previously my mam's house), and I gave the loan money to my mam, which she used to buy an apartment abroad.
I also got a separate secured loan (secured on the house) to start up a business.

So I lived in my childhood home again for 3 years, but then the business went downhill and I couldn't afford to pay the mortgage and secured loan. So I sold the house and moved to a new town where house prices were much cheaper than the city I had previously lived in, so I was able to buy a new house outright with the remaining money after paying off the mortgage.

I was still left with what had previously been the secured loan though, but they arranged a repayment plan over ten years, which I just paid off last year when I was 36.

So now, aside from my student loan, I am debt free, and I own a three bedroomed semi.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm hoping to buy a property within the next 12-18 months.
Spend a few hours a week browsing the auction and estate agent listings.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Robert Walpole)
When did you or do you hope to get on the property ladder?
Bought our first house at age 26. Skipped the "starter home" and went straight for a 3-bed semi with garage for 215k. Did not find it particularly difficult, deposit was £21,500.. so £10,750 each. Had been working full time for 4 years, so came to £233 per month saving on average.
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I never had one. Well... I did, but... okay it's not as straight-forward as that.

So I had my first house owned outright. My mother also owned her house outright.

After living in my first house for 4 years, my mother and I decided to swap houses, as she wanted to downsize whereas I needed a bigger house. As her house was worth more than mine, after the exchange of contracts, I got a mortgage on the house I was moving into (the one that was previously my mam's house), and I gave the loan money to my mam, which she used to buy an apartment abroad.
I also got a separate secured loan (secured on the house) to start up a business.

So I lived in my childhood home again for 3 years, but then the business went downhill and I couldn't afford to pay the mortgage and secured loan. So I sold the house and moved to a new town where house prices were much cheaper than the city I had previously lived in, so I was able to buy a new house outright with the remaining money after paying off the mortgage.

I was still left with what had previously been the secured loan though, but they arranged a repayment plan over ten years, which I just paid off last year when I was 36.

So now, aside from my student loan, I am debt free, and I own a three bedroomed semi.
Cool! How did you you own your first house outright?
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
Cool! How did you you own your first house outright?
It wasn't exactly expensive. It was £24,500 at the time. I put all my savings into it, and my mam topped up the rest.

That same house has just about quadrupled in value now according to zoopla. That's inflation for you.

Attachment 1026802
Anonymous370
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It wasn't exactly expensive. It was £24,500 at the time. I put all my savings into it, and my mam topped up the rest.

That same house has just about quadrupled in value now according to zoopla. That's inflation for you.
Wow, where is this ? London or beyond ? Interesting.
Last edited by Anonymous370; 1 month ago
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous370)
Wow, where is this ? London or beyond ? Interesting.
That house is in Leeds.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't live in it any more. My mother owns it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (363)
84.22%
No (68)
15.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed