how to get from A2 to B2 french in 6 months?

Watch
isabellazafe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I do ab initio french at school (IBDP system), so that's 3 hours of lessons a week. I also do vocab everyday for 40 ish minutes, I am doing a course of the 5000 most common french words ( i have been doing this everyday for the last few weeks). Other than homework I want to do grammar exercises a few times a week. Is this enough studying? What else should I do to reach a B2 level in 6-8 months? I can dedicate 45 minutes a day and 1.5 on the saturday
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isabellazafe)
I do ab initio french at school (IBDP system), so that's 3 hours of lessons a week. I also do vocab everyday for 40 ish minutes, I am doing a course of the 5000 most common french words ( i have been doing this everyday for the last few weeks). Other than homework I want to do grammar exercises a few times a week. Is this enough studying? What else should I do to reach a B2 level in 6-8 months? I can dedicate 45 minutes a day and 1.5 on the saturday
This question has not yet had any response, after three days. I suspect that this might be because there is no obvious answer.

The difference between A2 and B2 is enormous:

A2: An ability to deal with simple, straightforward information and begin to express oneself in familiar contexts.

B2: Level B2 corresponds to a more advanced, more independent level than previous levels. A B2 user can communicate easily and spontaneously in a clear and detailed manner.

Clearly vocabulary is important - without the words, you simply cannot communicate. But as a teacher I would strongly argue that without the structure of the language, the vocabulary is just a string of unconnected of words. So my recommendation to you would be to spend half your available time on vocabulary, and the other half on grammar - particularly, but not exclusively, verbs and tenses. The grammar book I always work with is this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gram.../dp/095706120X - it starts with the absolute basics and works up very quickly to a sophisticated level, and the vocabulary is simple. It is written for students working largely on their own and has an incredibly useful answers section which covers common mistakes and explains why the answers are as they are.

You will also need to fit in listening and speaking. Listening practice is easy to sort out; the internet has a vast range of offers and you will find plenty of advice about where to go on TSR. Organising speaking practice is likely to be a bit trickier, but it is essential to develop the spontaneity required at B2 level. Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a French conversation circle with, ideally, a fluent French speaker to help you out. Or maybe your school has a French assistant with whom you could have sessions?

You are aiming at bridging the gap between A2 and B2 in six to eight months, working a total of four and a quarter hours a week. I would like to suggest that, realistically, you are going to need to spend those four and a half hours on vocabulary and grammar, and then spend extra time on the listening and speaking - you should be aiming at 8 hours a week in total.

It'll be hard work, but it should be doable, and it will be hugely satisfying when you see that you are making progress. Good luck!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isabellazafe)
I agree with Anna Schoon to a point. A2 is equivalent to a GCSE grade A*-C. B2 is equivalent to an A level grade A*-C. So in essence, two year's worth of intense study at a normal rate. Trying to condense that into 6 months is unachievable really.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.82%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.45%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (37)
16.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (33)
15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads