Can anyone confirm what firm or insurance is for uni ?

Watch
Ghostface6001
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Specifically for contextual offers, can I accept them all or only one? Newcastle says they want you to put them as your firm or first choice or something
Medicine course btw
Tinders
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your firm choice is your first choice.
Your insurance choice is in case your firm does not accept you.
All other offers you have you reject.

When newcastle says they want you to put them as firm they are referring to what may happen if you miss your offer by a grade. Say they offer you AAA and you get AAB, if you firm them they could have been saying that they are more likely to accept you than if you put them as insurance.
Last edited by Tinders; 1 month ago
heccyeah
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ghostface6001)
Specifically for contextual offers, can I accept them all or only one? Newcastle says they want you to put them as your firm or first choice or something
Medicine course btw
Your firm choice is the uni you most want to go to - providing you meet the offer, if you put a uni as your firm, you will go there.
Your insurance is like a back-up - if things don't go to plan, and you don't get a place at your firm, but meet your offer for your insurance, you will go there.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine course btw
You apply to 5 unis and then after you get your responses back, assuming you get 5 offers, you reject 3 and keep 2. One "firm" (first choice) uni and one "insurance". Getting 5 offers is much less likely with highly competitive courses like medicine though.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Medicine course btw
Newcastle make their contextual offer only available if you pick them as firm choice. If you make them insurance then the normal offer grades apply not the lower ones.

Universities hate being picked as insurance so some universities have conditions like this to discourage applicants from picking them as firm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads