Candlewood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been given a last minute full time placement starting in mid August . I don't think i can handle both tutoring and a placement together. How do I break off my tutoring students especially since I've tutoring some of the lm for a couple of weeks and one of them is 7.?
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just send a polite email / letter giving as much notice as you can.
lisxnxli
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Tbh I don’t really see what the problem is unless you’ve got a legally binding contract or people have prepaid and you don’t have the money for a refund? Just be honest and sincere when you explain your reason. For the younger kids surely you’ll be talking to their parents rather then directly to the kids.
Last edited by lisxnxli; 1 month ago
Candlewood
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by lisxnxli)
Tbh I don’t really see what the problem is unless you’ve got a legally binding contract or people have prepaid and you don’t have the money for a refund? Just be honest and sincere when you explain your reason. For the younger kids surely you’ll be talking to their parents rather then directly to the kids.
I was a bit unsure about that since some of them had only had me for 3 weeks, would something like "reason + i cannot balance the responsibilities of both the placement and tutoring, therefore i will need to stop tutoring from date" suffice or would I need to give more information?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Candlewood)
I was a bit unsure about that since some of them had only had me for 3 weeks, would something like "reason + i cannot balance the responsibilities of both the placement and tutoring, therefore i will need to stop tutoring from date" suffice or would I need to give more information?
It rather depends on what you told these tutees (and their parents) when you started tutoring them? Surely you must have known the placement was coming up, and that you weren't going to be able to do both tutor and the placement? Why didn't you tell your tutees that you would have to finish on such-and-such a date before you agreed to tutor them?

It's not very good, really. People who look for tutors tend to look for stability and reliability. Having to cancel your tutees because of an entirely predictable change in your circumstances looks unprofessional and disorganised. Remember that most tutoring is gained via word-of-mouth and reputation - this isn't going to enhance that.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"Dear Children and Parents, I have failed you..."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.76%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.87%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (46)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
19.08%

Watched Threads