Is it possible to fall in love online?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve always been cynical about these things and I struggle to recognise the authenticity of my emotions. For a month now, I’ve been talking to someone (we’re both 18) on Instagram, sending voice memos, (appropriate) photos and occasionally video calling. From the get-go, he’s told me I’m the most beautiful person he’s ever met (far from the truth), I’m perfect and I’m ‘the one’, which honestly rings alarm bells in my mind sometimes since it’s so soon.
In all fairness, I’m attracted to him (his voice, personality and looks) and we have a lot in common so far, but he lives across the sea and we never really discuss that.
Things are moving so fast too:
- We chat for 5-6 hours daily.
- He published an important piece of work to him that I’ve been the fourth person to read in his life, the others being his parents and friend.
- He’s started to hint that he loves me (which I’m also sceptical about).
This may be my own insecurities from past attempts at online relationships revealing themselves, or simply the fact that the prospects of us lasting seem small.
Please don’t attack me in your responses - I can see us working out in real life, but I’m wondering how feasible this form of contact is. Thanks!
shooonthebeat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
stop being a simp bro, get yourself some hoes 😭💀
ecoleaf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t want to repeat what everyone else is saying but online relationships are never worth it. Simply because you can’t see what they’re doing, it will always end in heartbreak! Save yourself the trouble and just block him, it’ll do good for you i swear
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by economistgirl)
I don’t want to repeat what everyone else is saying but online relationships are never worth it. Simply because you can’t see what they’re doing, it will always end in heartbreak! Save yourself the trouble and just block him, it’ll do good for you i swear
Big fax 💯🔥
Anonymous #1
(Original post by economistgirl)
Thanks, I think you’re right. I’m starting Uni in under two months and I hope to perform well so, as cruel as it sounds, this will probably be a huge distraction and it’ll spiral out of control unless I call it quits. Hope you have a good summer!
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks, I think you’re right. I’m starting Uni in under two months and I hope to perform well so, as cruel as it sounds, this will probably be a huge distraction and it’ll spiral out of control unless I call it quits. Hope you have a good summer!
Lol bro, good summer with no nights out? You're taking the piss 😭💀
Anonymous #1
(Original post by shooonthebeat)
Lol bro, good summer with no nights out? You're taking the piss 😭💀
It’s called being a nice person. Maybe you should try it sometime.
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s called being a nice person. Maybe you should try it sometime.
no thanks, I'm a huge ********.
user00123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve always been cynical about these things and I struggle to recognise the authenticity of my emotions. For a month now, I’ve been talking to someone (we’re both 18) on Instagram, sending voice memos, (appropriate) photos and occasionally video calling. From the get-go, he’s told me I’m the most beautiful person he’s ever met (far from the truth), I’m perfect and I’m ‘the one’, which honestly rings alarm bells in my mind sometimes since it’s so soon.
In all fairness, I’m attracted to him (his voice, personality and looks) and we have a lot in common so far, but he lives across the sea and we never really discuss that.
Things are moving so fast too:
- We chat for 5-6 hours daily.
- He published an important piece of work to him that I’ve been the fourth person to read in his life, the others being his parents and friend.
- He’s started to hint that he loves me (which I’m also sceptical about).
This may be my own insecurities from past attempts at online relationships revealing themselves, or simply the fact that the prospects of us lasting seem small.
Please don’t attack me in your responses - I can see us working out in real life, but I’m wondering how feasible this form of contact is. Thanks!
Honestly I believe that u can „fall in love“ with someone u only met only and only keep in touch online because I’ve been through it myself but at the end of the day it won’t work out… before it gets too serious and u start catching the feelings fr just end it
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user00123)
Honestly I believe that u can „fall in love“ with someone u only met only and only keep in touch online because I’ve been through it myself but at the end of the day it won’t work out… before it gets too serious and u start catching the feelings fr just end it
nah lol I don't think long distance works, I like partying
user00123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by shooonthebeat)
nah lol I don't think long distance works, I like partying
yeah well, I'm not telling her to start a ldr and also that's what U prefer and not her.
I would say that's a U problem.
shooonthebeat
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user00123)
yeah well, I'm not telling her to start a ldr and also that's what U prefer and not her.
I would say that's a U problem.
exactly. it's a ME problem.
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m the most beautiful person he’s ever met (far from the truth), I’m perfect and I’m ‘the one’, which honestly rings alarm bells in my mind sometimes since it’s so soon.

I think you should probably have a sit-down discussion with him on where he sees himself in the future with you.

begin to suggest meeting up sooner rather than later as someone may not be who they portray themselves as online. (In a public space preferably.)
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.19%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.76%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.52%

Watched Threads