The Student Room Group

Getting Braces at 16?

(I'm not sure if this is the right area to put this so please lmk if there's somewhere else it should go)

I'm at the end of year 11 and I've been told that I'm going to need permanent braces to correct an overbite and some crooked teeth (I'm a fair bit older than people usually are when they get braces). I'm obviously a bit bummed out and I've been wondering how it will affect social life/ making friends in sixth form and elsewhere as well as getting/working part time jobs (I already work in a cafe where appearance is fairly important). All the other articles I have read online have been written by orthodontists (who obviously have a conflict of interest lol) so please be brutally honest so I know what I'm in for.
Original post by Anonymous
(I'm not sure if this is the right area to put this so please lmk if there's somewhere else it should go)

I'm at the end of year 11 and I've been told that I'm going to need permanent braces to correct an overbite and some crooked teeth (I'm a fair bit older than people usually are when they get braces). I'm obviously a bit bummed out and I've been wondering how it will affect social life/ making friends in sixth form and elsewhere as well as getting/working part time jobs (I already work in a cafe where appearance is fairly important). All the other articles I have read online have been written by orthodontists (who obviously have a conflict of interest lol) so please be brutally honest so I know what I'm in for.

If you need bracese get them, youre better to get them now than later because they cost a lot when youre over 18
Original post by Anonymous

A girl I worked with at the restaurant I was at wore braces when she was 16. She had every opportunity to do good with them. After her braces came off about a year ago, she did some modelling work for a local department store. I do remember her saying her braces were a pain in the butt but totally worth it.
I had braces from the end of year 9 all the way until the end of the first term of year 13 and it didn't affect my social life and braces can be a good conversation starter with people who also have braces. You might get a lisp for the first few days but you get used to it and your speech will return to normal.
Original post by hungrysalamander
I had braces from the end of year 9 all the way until the end of the first term of year 13 and it didn't affect my social life and braces can be a good conversation starter with people who also have braces. You might get a lisp for the first few days but you get used to it and your speech will return to normal.

I've never worn braces before. I know what friends have told me about them. I'm sorta looking forward to finding out if I actually need them once I start going to nursing school and get adjusted to living in a new town. BTW, I'm 18 and never had them.

Quick Reply

Latest