Revision for GCSES over summer

Watch
Marxx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

So I am going into year 11 and will be doing my GCSEs in 2022. I was thinking if I should revise during summer. I feel like it’s important to do so but I also think that I will forget everything anyway and that I will burn out and won’t have any strength nor motivation for year 11. I spent like a month revising for my year 10 mocks and that month has probably been the worst of my life. Yes I did achieve the grades I wanted but it has been so exhausting that I just want to rest and prepare myself mentally for year 11 instead of spending the whole summer revising. However, my mind is too complicated and I feel a lot of guilt for doing nothing because I feel like I just waste my time.

Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get this as you are very much like I was at your age, stop the guilt by planning to do a little revision (an hour per subject max) so you do 2 hours a week for the next 5 weeks. Then you still have the vast majority of the time off not feeling guilty. Just know without taking a break you will burnout so the break actually helps your GCSEs as much if not more than the revision does.
Lennylen628
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm a medical student who tutors GCSE AQA science and Edexcel maths, if you need a tutor or know of anyone who does inbox me
bluemoon03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

So I am going into year 11 and will be doing my GCSEs in 2022. I was thinking if I should revise during summer. I feel like it’s important to do so but I also think that I will forget everything anyway and that I will burn out and won’t have any strength nor motivation for year 11. I spent like a month revising for my year 10 mocks and that month has probably been the worst of my life. Yes I did achieve the grades I wanted but it has been so exhausting that I just want to rest and prepare myself mentally for year 11 instead of spending the whole summer revising. However, my mind is too complicated and I feel a lot of guilt for doing nothing because I feel like I just waste my time.
Please don't feel guilty for not revising in the summer - it's meant to be a break! I do see where you're coming from, and had a similar thought process going into Year 11, but I did very little revision that summer (kept my french up because I enjoy it then looked over some Year 10 content a week or so before Year 11 started) and still ended up getting GCSE grades I couldn't be happier with. If anything, the most productive use of your time this summer would be relaxing to avoid long-term burnout. If you do feel guilty for not being 'productive', maybe find things to do that feel rewarding but aren't hardcore revision e.g. pick up a hobby, or do something loosely academic (online course, language learning etc) but that's not full blown revision. I'm sorry you've struggled so much in Year 10, it's easier said than done but try to prioritise your own well-being over your grades. I made an effort to do this in sixth form and if anything, it helped me academically too because I was less tired and stressed. Hope that's vaguely helpful, take care and have a break! x
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marxx)
Hi all,

Hi Marxx,

I would definitely treat the summer as a well-deserved break. There's plenty of time to revise during the school year. When I did my GCSEs I didn't start properly revising until about march/april time and achieved high results.

Lucy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.61%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
14.98%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.74%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.98%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (61)
26.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (45)
19.82%

Watched Threads