Disabled students studying part time distance learningrning

Watch
Luna_1111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone in my situation has studied part time distance learning with the open university whilst on disability Benefits? Just to get some advice on whether you can or not. I am on pip high rate and ESA income related one not the tax contribution one. From what I remember I am on the support group where you can volunteer. I need to check this hasn't changed. I have a number of health conditions ranging from physical to mental as well as learning needs. So I do have alot of health disabilities to contend with. Hence why I was aiming for distance learning as I wouldn't be able to do a course even if it was part time that involved me having to be at uni for set times and days every week. I need something that is flexible as I won't always be able to put in the part time hours every week. It will have to be flexible so I can work around my health issues when they are at their worst.I thought part time would be okay but I am finding it confusing that it may have to be 16 hours only and the course I am interested in doing which is a open degree at the open university part time is 16-18 hours.Has anyone been in my situation and are you able to become a student this way as I am not able to with my disabilities to work physically in ways I would have never turned my nose up at ever I just physically couldn't manage it and it would make me very ill all the time and unable to do anything. I just wanted to try to find something that down the line could lead to being able to work if my recovery journey improves better and do something down the line that I can be flexible with and doesn't involve things that will agravate my health or something that's not achievable.Hopefully someone has been in my scenario as I'm not willing to take a maintenance loan instead as they usually aren't enough and you need to work part time to make that up and that's not something I unfortunately could do.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Luna_1111)
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone in my situation has studied part time distance learning with the open university whilst on disability Benefits? Just to get some advice on whether you can or not. I am on pip high rate and ESA income related one not the tax contribution one. From what I remember I am on the support group where you can volunteer. I need to check this hasn't changed. I have a number of health conditions ranging from physical to mental as well as learning needs. So I do have alot of health disabilities to contend with. Hence why I was aiming for distance learning as I wouldn't be able to do a course even if it was part time that involved me having to be at uni for set times and days every week. I need something that is flexible as I won't always be able to put in the part time hours every week. It will have to be flexible so I can work around my health issues when they are at their worst.I thought part time would be okay but I am finding it confusing that it may have to be 16 hours only and the course I am interested in doing which is a open degree at the open university part time is 16-18 hours.Has anyone been in my situation and are you able to become a student this way as I am not able to with my disabilities to work physically in ways I would have never turned my nose up at ever I just physically couldn't manage it and it would make me very ill all the time and unable to do anything. I just wanted to try to find something that down the line could lead to being able to work if my recovery journey improves better and do something down the line that I can be flexible with and doesn't involve things that will agravate my health or something that's not achievable.Hopefully someone has been in my scenario as I'm not willing to take a maintenance loan instead as they usually aren't enough and you need to work part time to make that up and that's not something I unfortunately could do.
Hey, I'm a part time disabled Open Uni student.

Part time study with the OU suggests that 16-18 hours of study a week is required though it doesn't always take this many hours, at least not in the first years. It will take up a lot of your time but if you're unemployed, that should be okay for you to manage around your health conditions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
6.98%
I need help researching courses (3)
6.98%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.98%
I need help with my personal statement (20)
46.51%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
23.26%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.98%

Watched Threads