Disabled students studying part time distance learningrning

Watch
Luna_1111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can students on income related ESA and high rate pip become a student part time with open uni distance learning and keep their Benefits?

I have alot of health conditions ranging from fibromyalgia and ME to mental health and learning needs difficulties. So I really am not able to work in many ways and was only able to do any sort of course that has the flexibility of distance learning so I can work around my health conditions when they are at their worst...

Has anyone been in a similar situation and it was okay for then to study in this way. I honestly don't mind if my pip goes to middle rate etc. But I have no family to rely on etc o just don't have any plan b options if things went wrong so I can't loose them.

Has anyone been in this situation? The open degree part time is 16 to 18 hours but I thought you could only do up to 16 hours?
Anneka1990
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Luna_1111)
Can students on income related ESA and high rate pip become a student part time with open uni distance learning and keep their Benefits?

I have alot of health conditions ranging from fibromyalgia and ME to mental health and learning needs difficulties. So I really am not able to work in many ways and was only able to do any sort of course that has the flexibility of distance learning so I can work around my health conditions when they are at their worst...

Has anyone been in a similar situation and it was okay for then to study in this way. I honestly don't mind if my pip goes to middle rate etc. But I have no family to rely on etc o just don't have any plan b options if things went wrong so I can't loose them.

Has anyone been in this situation? The open degree part time is 16 to 18 hours but I thought you could only do up to 16 hours?
You can still recieve pip and study but I’m pretty sure you can’t recieve ESA and study. I work but I also recieve a small amount of UC each month depending on how much I’ve worked and my UC will stop once I’ve registered on the course. My care coordinator told me to appeal my pip decision though and she knows I’m going to uni so you must still be able to claim that.
JemimaJ24
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

You can’t claim ESA and study I don’t think, but your PIP will remain the same as long as your condition doesn’t change (the same as if you worked and claimed PIP).

I am not sure about open long distance studying but I would of thought it was the same as going to university and you would claim student loans but best check with CAB or a benefit charity if you have one near you.

You can also claim DSA if you studying at university and whilst it doesn’t give you monetary value it does give you the support you need be that software or someone to help etc…

I am going to university and I get PIP because I have MS and OA and lots of other physical and mental health problems and I have to claim student loan - don’t let anything put you off because there is part time OU which maybe less than 16 hours and you wouldn’t loose your benefits and you can use student finance to pay for their courses nowadays..

Speak to CAB and let us know how you get on, but good luck and do your best to study because the majority of the time I found it helped keep my brain quiet which helped my other mental health problems:-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.7%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (33)
15.79%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.27%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.83%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (56)
26.79%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.62%

Watched Threads