username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What were the conditions like doing it online? How did they control cheating? Did you do it from home? etc...
snepspell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username1212337)
What were the conditions like doing it online? How did they control cheating? Did you do it from home? etc...
so i did the bmat twice last year (under very rare circumstances) so i hope i'm equipped with the info to tell you about the online bmat experience.

the first time i did the bmat in november 2020, was one of the worst exam experiences of my life. i did a great deal of revision and saw massive improvement. my primary source of revision was bmat ninja and i was performing better as time went on. the exam took place at my school and started at 9am i believe. the laptop cam had to be on and the screen was recorded, being actively monitored by proctors as a measure of cheat control. the online proctoring system was okay during some of section 1, however a windows update notification popped up and i struggled to remove it. the proctoring system is rigid and very much unforgiving so my screen lit up red saying smth along the lines of 'remove all other windows or you will risk being withdrawn from the bmat'. naturally i panicked and that msg threw me off for the entirety of the exam, and this happened again during section 2 and 3. my cool was completely gone to the point where i wasn't processing the questions whatsoever. this was indeed an issue with the skl laptops but if the online exam was so vulnerable to stuff like this then i would do anything to retake that test on paper. i left the exam and kinda just kept quiet and lied to my frnds saying it went alright bc at that point i was so so confused. i reported the issue to my skl with little hope and i thought it was the end of my med applications this year (bc i applied to all bmat unis [big mistake please dont do this haha]).

to my luck, bsms uni reached out to me saying they wanted to give me a second chance into their course on the condition of retaking the bmat in feb. as traumatised as i was from the last testing experience and as much as i didnt wanna go through the bmat experience again, i took the opportunity cuz i think i'd be crazy not to lmao. it was exam time, and i did it at skl again but bc it was the half-term holidays there weren't kids or the school bell to be a distraction. prior to that day i came in and tested all the laptops available to make sure there weren't any issues. this time round went alot smoother! the only issue was during section 3, when i wanted to select a chunk of text to copy it and paste it elsewhere in my paragraph, but for some reason selecting text and doing shortcuts like ctrl+c and ctrl+v triggered the system to do the red light warning thing which did make me panic a bit but thankfully it was towards the end when i was basically proofreading and finalising my essay. i ended up scoring significantly better than the first time!

all in all, the online bmat experience was vulnerable to being triggered. many people had it way worse than i did with the system self-triggering and withdrawing their score for the entire section which is why im extremely grateful for even being given a second chance. dont get me wrong though, 95% of ppl will say it went perfect and no errors occurred, but everyone's experience is different so if bmat does go online this year (not sure if it already has) please do not let my experience affect yours, simply ensure your device isn't annoyingly presenting a pop up every 10 mins and ur good best of luck!
username1212337
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by snepspell)
so i did the bmat twice last year (under very rare circumstances) so i hope i'm equipped with the info to tell you about the online bmat experience.

the first time i did the bmat in november 2020, was one of the worst exam experiences of my life. i did a great deal of revision and saw massive improvement. my primary source of revision was bmat ninja and i was performing better as time went on. the exam took place at my school and started at 9am i believe. the laptop cam had to be on and the screen was recorded, being actively monitored by proctors as a measure of cheat control. the online proctoring system was okay during some of section 1, however a windows update notification popped up and i struggled to remove it. the proctoring system is rigid and very much unforgiving so my screen lit up red saying smth along the lines of 'remove all other windows or you will risk being withdrawn from the bmat'. naturally i panicked and that msg threw me off for the entirety of the exam, and this happened again during section 2 and 3. my cool was completely gone to the point where i wasn't processing the questions whatsoever. this was indeed an issue with the skl laptops but if the online exam was so vulnerable to stuff like this then i would do anything to retake that test on paper. i left the exam and kinda just kept quiet and lied to my frnds saying it went alright bc at that point i was so so confused. i reported the issue to my skl with little hope and i thought it was the end of my med applications this year (bc i applied to all bmat unis [big mistake please dont do this haha]).

to my luck, bsms uni reached out to me saying they wanted to give me a second chance into their course on the condition of retaking the bmat in feb. as traumatised as i was from the last testing experience and as much as i didnt wanna go through the bmat experience again, i took the opportunity cuz i think i'd be crazy not to lmao. it was exam time, and i did it at skl again but bc it was the half-term holidays there weren't kids or the school bell to be a distraction. prior to that day i came in and tested all the laptops available to make sure there weren't any issues. this time round went alot smoother! the only issue was during section 3, when i wanted to select a chunk of text to copy it and paste it elsewhere in my paragraph, but for some reason selecting text and doing shortcuts like ctrl+c and ctrl+v triggered the system to do the red light warning thing which did make me panic a bit but thankfully it was towards the end when i was basically proofreading and finalising my essay. i ended up scoring significantly better than the first time!

all in all, the online bmat experience was vulnerable to being triggered. many people had it way worse than i did with the system self-triggering and withdrawing their score for the entire section which is why im extremely grateful for even being given a second chance. dont get me wrong though, 95% of ppl will say it went perfect and no errors occurred, but everyone's experience is different so if bmat does go online this year (not sure if it already has) please do not let my experience affect yours, simply ensure your device isn't annoyingly presenting a pop up every 10 mins and ur good best of luck!
Thank you so much for responding. It's been great to read about your experience. It is going ahead this year but will be online so I was scared as I've heard many people having issues with the system and this answered a couple of questions I had. Also, is it possible to take your own laptop to school because my school's laptops aren't the best and will probably lag a lot?
snepspell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username1212337)
Thank you so much for responding. It's been great to read about your experience. It is going ahead this year but will be online so I was scared as I've heard many people having issues with the system and this answered a couple of questions I had. Also, is it possible to take your own laptop to school because my school's laptops aren't the best and will probably lag a lot?
yess, it would be alot better to bring your own device to school and there's rlly no reason your school wouldn't let you do that - i would've done the same, but my school doesn't really allow outside devices to connect to the main wifi, but negotiating with the IT team at your school shouldn't be a problem!

one thing i also forgot to say was bmat went online for the first time last year and faced issues, it's impossible for them to not try and resolve those issues so that this time should go alot smoother, hopefully this lessens your stress about the online experience. again, best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads