AyanMJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Which universities put more emphasis on the grades/ predicted grades that an applicant has ?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Exeter, QMUL, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen are the only schools that 'score' predicted grades.
Leicester guarantees an interview to students with achieved grades and a >5th decile UCAT.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Exeter, QMUL, Dundee, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen are the only schools that 'score' predicted grades.
Leicester guarantees an interview to students with achieved grades and a >5th decile UCAT.
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points) and it appears Aston do, too, Aberdeen (gives extra points for achieved A levels), I think Dundee does, too, Liverpool (allow applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE to apply if they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting, rather than the usual 15 points), Keele may waive GCSE requirements with achieved A level, QUB give full academic score and Leicester as mentioned.

Or do you mean GCSEs by "grades" rather than predicted? AyanMJ
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points) and it appears Aston do, too, Aberdeen (gives extra points for achieved A levels), I think Dundee does, too, Liverpool (allow applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE to apply if they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting, rather than the usual 15 points), Keele may waive GCSE requirements with achieved A level, QUB give full academic score and Leicester as mentioned.

Or do you mean GCSEs by "grades" rather than predicted? AyanMJ
Thanks for expanding
AyanMJ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A-levels, I sat maths early so I am wondering if that will be advantageous when applying to specific universities.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for expanding
You do an amazing job and I think you are being run ragged. Please don't feel I am undermining you, as your advice is always amazing and you are far nicer in your delivery than me!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AyanMJ)
A-levels, I sat maths early so I am wondering if that will be advantageous when applying to specific universities.
Not really, sadly. Only Barts will give consideration for the UCAT points, and Lancaster and QUB may reduce grades for your remaining 3 to AAB/AAA. It would also help via Manchester's holistic route. Most will just ignore it, I'm afraid
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do an amazing job and I think you are being run ragged. Please don't feel I am undermining you, as your advice is always amazing and you are far nicer in your delivery than me!
I meant it
I don’t want you to feel like you are coming here and giving amazing advice and not getting thanked (or getting bombarded with millions of basic queries...as seems to be happening with one person in particular)

Apologies if it came off as passive aggressive or whatever nonsense happens when these things are translated into text! I am delighted that you can come in and add detail that will help people because I just can’t keep it all in my head :no:

Spoiler:
Show
I am being a little run ragged, but we move...hopefully we will have a bit of a recruitment drive soon
Last edited by becausethenight; 1 month ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I meant it
I don’t want you to feel like you are coming here and giving amazing advice and not getting thanked (or getting bombarded with millions of basic queries...as seems to be happening with one person in particular)

Apologies if it came off as passive aggressive or whatever nonsense happens when these things are translated into text! I am delighted that you can come in and add detail that will help people because I just can’t keep it all in my head :no:

Spoiler:
Show
I am being a little run ragged, but we move...hopefully we will have a bit of a recruitment drive soon
Thank you. As I say, you are just too nice for your own good! You come across as the total delight that you are
Your head is full of useful, interesting stuff. Mine just has all this rattling around :lol:
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you. As I say, you are just too nice for your own good! You come across as the total delight that you are
Your head is full of useful, interesting stuff. Mine just has all this rattling around :lol:
I am sure medicine will toughen me up :lol:
Haha, mine has the Krebs cycle and all the tiny arm blood vessels in it at the moment, so useful...I’m not sure
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am sure medicine will toughen me up :lol:
Haha, mine has the Krebs cycle and all the tiny arm blood vessels in it at the moment, so useful...I’m not sure
I still have a cobweb-y corner of mine with that rubbish in - as I find out each time #2 asks some question about something he studied within the last 3 years and I haven't looked at in eleventy billion! Not sure how much I have used it, but my anatomy can still rival his on the upper limb (it was downhill from there onwards and a leg is just somewhere below the waist!)
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I still have a cobweb-y corner of mine with that rubbish in - as I find out each time #2 asks some question about something he studied within the last 3 years and I haven't looked at in eleventy billion! Not sure how much I have used it, but my anatomy can still rival his on the upper limb (it was downhill from there onwards and a leg is just somewhere below the waist!)
At least you can answer the question - I gave up on explaining much to my parents once we got to "what's the thyroid" :lol: (I love them, I do, but it was best for everyone's mental health I think )
I am not 100% sure how clinically relevant anatomy is, I have to say - we did a little bit of "damage to what nerve gives what effects" which was good fun, but not sure about the rest! Legs look difficult :cry:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads