My boss asking me to find my own cover for being sick

Watch
NAR777
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So on Sunday I was feeling very dizzy and faint at work and it was really worrying me as my vision was going a little bit blurred. I was on my own at one of our serving huts in another area of the workplace, I messaged my manager to tell her about feeling dizzy and was told that I basically had to stay until I could find someone else to come in and take over. I ended up coming back down and leaving off my own back because I was worried about fainting whilst being completely in my own in the hut and no one would know. I was meant by a bit of a sarcastic comment when I returned into the main reception “oh so you just left the hut off your own back.” Later that evening I received a message to say that I need to take a PCR test and have my result before I returned to work. I did the PCR test on Monday, I message on Tuesday night just to let my manager know that I still hadn’t received my result as I was scheduled to work the next day. The day of my shift came and I still hadn’t heard anything so I messaged again to let them know I was then met with the response that it was my responsibility to find cover for my shift otherwise they will be short staffed. I checked my contract and it is stated no where that I must find my own cover. I am so annoyed is this even allowed or is this really poor management!
mathperson
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not your responsibility to find cover for being sick or taking a holiday. I would strongly urge you to join a union.
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is your manager's responsibility to ensure work shifts are properly covered. That is why they are the manager, they are supposed to "manage" the staff.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NAR777)
So on Sunday I was feeling very dizzy and faint at work and it was really worrying me as my vision was going a little bit blurred. I was on my own at one of our serving huts in another area of the workplace, I messaged my manager to tell her about feeling dizzy and was told that I basically had to stay until I could find someone else to come in and take over. I ended up coming back down and leaving off my own back because I was worried about fainting whilst being completely in my own in the hut and no one would know. I was meant by a bit of a sarcastic comment when I returned into the main reception “oh so you just left the hut off your own back.” Later that evening I received a message to say that I need to take a PCR test and have my result before I returned to work. I did the PCR test on Monday, I message on Tuesday night just to let my manager know that I still hadn’t received my result as I was scheduled to work the next day. The day of my shift came and I still hadn’t heard anything so I messaged again to let them know I was then met with the response that it was my responsibility to find cover for my shift otherwise they will be short staffed. I checked my contract and it is stated no where that I must find my own cover. I am so annoyed is this even allowed or is this really poor management!
No, it's not your responsibility to find cover if you are off sick or on holiday. That's the managers responsibility.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed