Theofficialx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i wanted to know if this is a criminal offence if you are caught, i am aware that that driving while high is a criminal offence, but i wanted to know if cycling is as well? i checked on google, but got mixed responses, so i coming here for support.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.

Road Traffic Act 1960

A person who, when riding a bicycle or tricycle, not being a motor vehicle, on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding thirty pounds, or in the case of a second or subsequent conviction to a fine not exceeding thirty pounds or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ted?view=plain
Theofficialx
Rep:
?
if i have proper control of it however, does this make me fit to ride?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Theofficialx)
if i have proper control of it however, does this make me fit to ride?
If you're high you're not in a position to be able to judge that soundly.
legalhelp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Yes.

Road Traffic Act 1960

A person who, when riding a bicycle or tricycle, not being a motor vehicle, on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding thirty pounds, or in the case of a second or subsequent conviction to a fine not exceeding thirty pounds or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ted?view=plain
Right answer, wrong statutory provision. Most of the RTA 1960 (including the section you linked to) is no longer in force. The offence is now contained in s. 30 RTA 1988:

“A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.”

And Drewski - it will not necessarily be the case that every person who has consumed drink or drugs will be “incapable of having proper control of the cycle”. That will be a matter of fact for whoever is trying the case to decide. There is a lot more latitude afforded to cyclists than to motorists, where there are strict limits in place for the acceptable level of either alcohol or drugs in a driver’s system. If you are above those limits, you commit an offence, regardless of how in control of your car you might actually be.
Last edited by legalhelp; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by legalhelp)
Right answer, wrong statutory provision. Most of the RTA 1960 (including the section you linked to) is no longer in force. The offence is now contained in s. 30 RTA 1988:

“A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.”

And Drewski - it will not necessarily be the case that every person who has consumed drink or drugs will be “incapable of having proper control of the cycle”. That will be a matter of fact for whoever is trying the case to decide. There is a lot more latitude afforded to cyclists than to motorists, where there are strict limits in place for the acceptable level of either alcohol or drugs in a driver’s system. If you are above those limits, you commit an offence in a case, regardless of how in control of your car you might actually be.
Thanks actual legal professional
Theofficialx
Rep:
?
(Original post by legalhelp)

And Drewski - it will not necessarily be the case that every person who has consumed drink or drugs will be “incapable of having proper control of the cycle”. That will be a matter of fact for whoever is trying the case to decide. There is a lot more latitude afforded to cyclists than to motorists, where there are strict limits in place for the acceptable level of either alcohol or drugs in a driver’s system. If you are above those limits, you commit an offence, regardless of how in control of your car you might actually be.
very helpful thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads