The Student Room Group

international student bank account

hi! im an international student going to university this september 2021.

i want to apply for a student bank account. however, i have a few questions about this.

i know that in order to open a student bank account, i would need to show:
- proof of id (passport/drivers license)
- proof of address (utlility bill/tenancy account)
- proof of being a student (UCAS letter)

i am just unsure if i can apply for a student bank account because i dont have any proof of address and i am not sure about my evidence of being a student.

for the proof of address,
i am currently living with my aunt since february 2021 and i dont have any eligible letters under my name. i do have tesco clubcard, nectar card addressed to me using my aunts address but i doubt that can be used as proof. however i do have a ucas letter that i printed from my portal that contains my aunts address. would that be enough for proof of address? in addition, would using a phone bill statement be enough for proof of address?

for proof of showing my status as a student,
i have 2 conditional offers (one firm and one insurance). i do not have the grades yet as they do not come until early august. would i still be able to apply for a student bank account?
Original post by xlisax_02
hi! im an international student going to university this september 2021.

i want to apply for a student bank account. however, i have a few questions about this.

i know that in order to open a student bank account, i would need to show:
- proof of id (passport/drivers license)
- proof of address (utlility bill/tenancy account)
- proof of being a student (UCAS letter)

i am just unsure if i can apply for a student bank account because i dont have any proof of address and i am not sure about my evidence of being a student.

for the proof of address,
i am currently living with my aunt since february 2021 and i dont have any eligible letters under my name. i do have tesco clubcard, nectar card addressed to me using my aunts address but i doubt that can be used as proof. however i do have a ucas letter that i printed from my portal that contains my aunts address. would that be enough for proof of address? in addition, would using a phone bill statement be enough for proof of address?

for proof of showing my status as a student,
i have 2 conditional offers (one firm and one insurance). i do not have the grades yet as they do not come until early august. would i still be able to apply for a student bank account?

Hi there, I'm an international student too and showed my tenancy agreement as proof of address instead of the other options. In your case I think a signed letter from your aunt confirming you live under her address could suffice. The bank can definitely advice you further.

Regarding proof of being a student, wouldn't you rather apply for the bank account once your grades are out and you have an unconditional offer ?

Lee-UoP Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi there, I'm an international student too and showed my tenancy agreement as proof of address instead of the other options. In your case I think a signed letter from your aunt confirming you live under her address could suffice. The bank can definitely advice you further.

Regarding proof of being a student, wouldn't you rather apply for the bank account once your grades are out and you have an unconditional offer ?

Lee-UoP Rep

hello! about that, the reason why im applying for a student bank account is because i am also trying to apply for a dbs check as ill be going into a healthcare course for university.

when answering some questions, i didn't have enough documents that could help support my proof of identity and so i am looking into this option.

would it not be possible to open a student bank account without my grades?

thank you for answering my other questions by the way :smile:
Original post by xlisax_02
hello! about that, the reason why im applying for a student bank account is because i am also trying to apply for a dbs check as ill be going into a healthcare course for university.

when answering some questions, i didn't have enough documents that could help support my proof of identity and so i am looking into this option.

would it not be possible to open a student bank account without my grades?

thank you for answering my other questions by the way :smile:

Mhh I see, its a bit of a tricky one. Sadly i don't think you can apply before receiving and accepting an unconditional offer. The bank requires you to already be a student (not a potential student). Sorry about that :frown:

Lee- UoP Rep

Quick Reply

Latest