Z_K
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I know it's still the summer holidays but I'm already stressed about Yr 11. I did bad in my summer mocks and it was not at all what I had expected to have gotten. I got :

Maths - 6
English lit & Lang - 3 & 3
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 6
Physics - 5
History - 4

I am really disappointed with my my scores, especially English because I didn't even know I was struggling in it. My target grades are all 8's and that's also my personal target but I don't think I'll ever be able to get +3/4/5 grades in less than a year. I really want to try and improve in Year 11 because now I know where I'm weakest and I can work on those areas. I tried so hard in those mocks but it obviously just wasn't working out for me.
I wasn't in the best mental state in Yr 10 and was falling behind quite a lot. I feel like it was just me but Yr 10 was so fast paced in terms of learning I just couldn't keep up. I found it difficult so I just gave up. Everyone else seemed almost perfect with their learning and that everything was alright for them but I was always stuck behind. Wow I wrote a bit too much. Sorry for anyone who has to read this I just wanted to get this off my chest
JustSomeGuy:/
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Z_K)
I know it's still the summer holidays but I'm already stressed about Yr 11. I did bad in my summer mocks and it was not at all what I had expected to have gotten. I got :

Maths - 6
English lit & Lang - 3 & 3
Biology - 7
Chemistry - 6
Physics - 5
History - 4

I am really disappointed with my my scores, especially English because I didn't even know I was struggling in it. My target grades are all 8's and that's also my personal target but I don't think I'll ever be able to get +3/4/5 grades in less than a year. I really want to try and improve in Year 11 because now I know where I'm weakest and I can work on those areas. I tried so hard in those mocks but it obviously just wasn't working out for me.
I wasn't in the best mental state in Yr 10 and was falling behind quite a lot. I feel like it was just me but Yr 10 was so fast paced in terms of learning I just couldn't keep up. I found it difficult so I just gave up. Everyone else seemed almost perfect with their learning and that everything was alright for them but I was always stuck behind. Wow I wrote a bit too much. Sorry for anyone who has to read this I just wanted to get this off my chest
With English I was in the same boat as you. I was trying my best but still getting 3s at the start of year 11 whereas in my other subjects I was at least above a pass so from October onwards I completely put my foot down for English. I bought practice books and did writing tasks that I would ask my English teachers to mark for language and then for literature I would study the texts in depth, memorizing key quotes that could be applied to many situations while also doing practice questions from revision books that I asked my teachers to look over. I also watched/studied A LOAD of Mr Bruff who is a really useful English teacher on YouTube who goes over all the poems and literature texts in depth as well as going over language practice papers. Eventually I learnt what techniques to use and look out for in language and learnt the key phrases and themes in a majority of the literature texts.
To begin with, I felt completely hopeless with English but by the end of it I went from a 3 to an 8 in a single year and I feel that anyone else can do the same! Since History and English are quite similar I feel like as you get better at English you'll also get better at History. Otherwise for history the only thing I can say is to try memorize as much as you can!
Best of luck and hope everything works out! Feel free to ask anything else!

A little tip: If you ask me, English is a lot about making stuff up so if you feel like a certain link in the text or piece of analysis you do seems redundant and pointless to you, turns out that means you get a lot of marks lol. So I guess the rule of thumb is the more bizarre your language analysis, the better grade you get (obviously point out the obvious stuff too since that's just free marks).

This part is a little confusing or at least I think it is but I basically poorly explain how marking an English question works:
So English works in a "bands" system which means that as soon as you do a high piece of analysis you'll be in a top band which means that there's now a minimum mark the marker can give you. What I mean is imagine you did a piece of analysis that is rated in the level 5 band (they go from 1 to 6 or 7 if I recall with higher bands meaning better analysis) and the question was out of 20. Well since you've done something that's in the level 5 category they must now automatically give you at least 11 marks if that was the minimum boundary for level 5. So you could do 3 paragraphs that are rated as band 2 but 1 that's band 5 and you automatically get the minimum band 5 mark (at least).
RedVelvet16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JustSomeGuy:/)
With English I was in the same boat as you. I was trying my best but still getting 3s at the start of year 11 whereas in my other subjects I was at least above a pass so from October onwards I completely put my foot down for English. I bought practice books and did writing tasks that I would ask my English teachers to mark for language and then for literature I would study the texts in depth, memorizing key quotes that could be applied to many situations while also doing practice questions from revision books that I asked my teachers to look over. I also watched/studied A LOAD of Mr Bruff who is a really useful English teacher on YouTube who goes over all the poems and literature texts in depth as well as going over language practice papers. Eventually I learnt what techniques to use and look out for in language and learnt the key phrases and themes in a majority of the literature texts.
To begin with, I felt completely hopeless with English but by the end of it I went from a 3 to an 8 in a single year and I feel that anyone else can do the same! Since History and English are quite similar I feel like as you get better at English you'll also get better at History. Otherwise for history the only thing I can say is to try memorize as much as you can!
Best of luck and hope everything works out! Feel free to ask anything else!

A little tip: If you ask me, English is a lot about making stuff up so if you feel like a certain link in the text or piece of analysis you do seems redundant and pointless to you, turns out that means you get a lot of marks lol. So I guess the rule of thumb is the more bizarre your language analysis, the better grade you get (obviously point out the obvious stuff too since that's just free marks).

This part is a little confusing or at least I think it is but I basically poorly explain how marking an English question works:
So English works in a "bands" system which means that as soon as you do a high piece of analysis you'll be in a top band which means that there's now a minimum mark the marker can give you. What I mean is imagine you did a piece of analysis that is rated in the level 5 band (they go from 1 to 6 or 7 if I recall with higher bands meaning better analysis) and the question was out of 20. Well since you've done something that's in the level 5 category they must now automatically give you at least 11 marks if that was the minimum boundary for level 5. So you could do 3 paragraphs that are rated as band 2 but 1 that's band 5 and you automatically get the minimum band 5 mark (at least).
Hi there! Is there a special way of writing an essay? Like in History, I split my 'explain 2 effects of ....' paragraphs into PEEL; is there a similar way in English? I'm also entering Y10, and I only got a 5.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedVelvet16)
Hi there! Is there a special way of writing an essay? Like in History, I split my 'explain 2 effects of ....' paragraphs into PEEL; is there a similar way in English? I'm also entering Y10, and I only got a 5.
You do the exact same thing as you do in History (as in PEEL). Just to re-iterate it, so there's the point which is just a statement about the text you're making. Then there's the evidence which is just like a quotation from a text. Following this there's explain which is where you, well, explain why the evidence proves your point usually using some sort of language analysis. Finally, there's link which doesn't have to be there (a PEE paragraph in English is just as good as a PEEL one if there's no need for the link) but when it can be there you just talk about how the point you've just proven links to the main theme or back to the question. You tend to use the L in PEEL more in literature than in language. Obviously you may already know this but I felt like it was good to go over it. A great essay only takes 3-5 PEE(L) paragraphs (depending on how many marks the question is).
RedVelvet16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do the exact same thing as you do in History (as in PEEL). Just to re-iterate it, so there's the point which is just a statement about the text you're making. Then there's the evidence which is just like a quotation from a text. Following this there's explain which is where you, well, explain why the evidence proves your point usually using some sort of language analysis. Finally, there's link which doesn't have to be there (a PEE paragraph in English is just as good as a PEEL one if there's no need for the link) but when it can be there you just talk about how the point you've just proven links to the main theme or back to the question. You tend to use the L in PEEL more in literature than in language. Obviously you may already know this but I felt like it was good to go over it. A great essay only takes 3-5 PEE(L) paragraphs (depending on how many marks the question is).
ahh that helps a lot thank you! also, do you know if there are any online essay marking tools (that are actually accurate)? I'm not sure if I should email my teacher during the holidays asking her to mark it :/
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedVelvet16)
ahh that helps a lot thank you! also, do you know if there are any online essay marking tools (that are actually accurate)? I'm not sure if I should email my teacher during the holidays asking her to mark it :/
I personally have never found online essay marking tools, however I would always try to email your teacher if you can. But don't forget that you can ask people to mark/judge your essay on this forum or any other relevant forum as well!
Last edited by JustSomeGuy:/; 1 month ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you still have a year to improve so don't be too disheartened by your grades- this year'll have been difficult for many with the blended learning approach so you're not alone in your struggles. honestly in the summer i'd just try and complete revision notes for all the content you've covered in year 10 and giving yourself periodical refreshers on the content you've covered but don't overdo it either. perhaps might be worth re-examining your revision methods and seeing if they work for you.
RedVelvet16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I personally have never found online essay marking tools, however I would always try to email your teacher if you can. But don't forget that you can ask people to mark/judge your essay on this forum or any other relevant forum as well!
Great, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
8.11%
I need help researching courses (3)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
8.11%
I need help with my personal statement (18)
48.65%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
18.92%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed