anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! Don't know if this is too niche to pick up traction, but thought I'd start a thread for those who have entered the R.A. Butler politics prize 2021 (essay competition by Cambridge University). I'm still finishing mine up (I know it's very close to the deadline!!), but I've really enjoyed the process of writing it.

Was wondering what questions people picked and how long you spent on it? And of course not expecting people to give much away about what they specifically focused on just in case of copycats lol but maybe after the deadline (August 2nd) we could exchange ideas and have a discussion about the angles we all took.

Anyway there's a high chance this thread will get discarded, but oh well!
charlctte
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
just finished editing mine and am going to submit it tonight! I did the one on feminism and working from home, but I'm worried about the amount I've written. It was above the minimum word count, but quite a bit off the max- i wrote it all THEN checked the word count and couldn't find a way to crowbar in more paragraphs without sounding clunky haha
anaturner
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlctte)
just finished editing mine and am going to submit it tonight! I did the one on feminism and working from home, but I'm worried about the amount I've written. It was above the minimum word count, but quite a bit off the max- i wrote it all THEN checked the word count and couldn't find a way to crowbar in more paragraphs without sounding clunky haha
Oooh that question sounded really interesting - I was brainstorming with my mum the different takes on the question you could do (although didn't end up choosing it). Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about the word count; it's definitely better to keep it short but sweet instead of trying to shove in extra content which isn't overly relevant. As cliche as it sounds, quality is definitely over quantity in this case!!! And as long as it's above the word count, then it shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't finished mine lol (I am lastminute.com) but I'm aiming for over 2000 words and as long as it's over that then I really don't mind personally (although tbf I am not entering with any hope of winning - it's more for me to fine tune my essay writing skills and have an addition to my PS).
Last edited by anaturner; 1 month ago
charlctte
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anaturner)
(although tbf I am not entering with any hope of winning - it's more for me to fine tune my essay writing skills and have an addition to my PS).
im the exact same! it would be really cool to win, but I just wanted essay practice as that was my main downfall in my mocks. good luck though, you don't win if you don't enter so you never know.....
Political_Weirdo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm planning to enter. I've already got a previous draft complete for the question "Should people offending each other on social media be a matter
of criminal justice?" however I still feel as if that attempt was weaker as I didn't have enough room for footnotes. - Although, I could still get my sources down.

I mean, I've got like 10 hours left soooo
charlctte
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Political_Weirdo)
I'm planning to enter. I've already got a previous draft complete for the question "Should people offending each other on social media be a matter
of criminal justice?" however I still feel as if that attempt was weaker as I didn't have enough room for footnotes. - Although, I could still get my sources down.

I mean, I've got like 10 hours left soooo
2 hours to go- good luck !
nnoooo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anaturner)
Hi! Don't know if this is too niche to pick up traction, but thought I'd start a thread for those who have entered the R.A. Butler politics prize 2021 (essay competition by Cambridge University). I'm still finishing mine up (I know it's very close to the deadline!!), but I've really enjoyed the process of writing it.

Was wondering what questions people picked and how long you spent on it? And of course not expecting people to give much away about what they specifically focused on just in case of copycats lol but maybe after the deadline (August 2nd) we could exchange ideas and have a discussion about the angles we all took.

Anyway there's a high chance this thread will get discarded, but oh well!
I submitted an essay on "can news media be politically neutral". Does anyone know when we'll hear the results?
Political_Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nnoooo)
I submitted an essay on "can news media be politically neutral". Does anyone know when we'll hear the results?
September I think
anaturner
Rep:
?
That's what I did mine on too! What points did you focus on, and how did you structure it?
nnoooo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just got an email titled "R.A. Butler prize - acknowledging receipt and timetable". Who else received it?
Last edited by nnoooo; 1 month ago
charlctte
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just got an email titled "R.A. Butler prize - acknowledging receipt and timetable". Who else received it?
me too ! winners announced 10th sept

i kinda wish they would publish the short and long list, it would be so interesting to see
EmSco
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just joined the student room because of this thread! I got the confirmation receipt email today (13th August) and was totally scared to see that I had picked the feminism question and it wasn’t one of the most popular ones listed in the email 😳
I’m glad someone else picked the question too!
EmSco
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
me too ! winners announced 10th sept

i kinda wish they would publish the short and long list, it would be so interesting to see
Does anyone know if they ever post the long or short lists? Or are we just waiting until September now lol
nnoooo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Any updates?
Political_Weirdo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
None yet, just waiting. granted I haven't checked my emails.
nnoooo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Less than two days to go!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.02%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.79%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.23%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (68)
26.88%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads