why are the covid cases going down... (UK)

Watch
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
... as soon as the restrictions have been lifted and literally no one is wearing masks anymore?
i don't get it
surely, it should be increasing instead?
Last edited by harlz_chalamet; 1 month ago
wizkid44
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Vaccinations I’m guessing
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 1 month ago
Less testing.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
1) Schools have all broken up for the summer. This means less testing from all the school kids who were previously testing twice a week.
2) People are just testing less in general anyway, because restrictions have been lifted, so many people feel as though there's no need any more.

The hospitals are still filling up though, so on paper it looks great because the figures are dropping, but in reality... yeah... not so much.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Less testing.
Seven day average for daily tests has remained pretty stable since about mid April.

This reduction has been predicted and been attributed to the vaccination program as well as growing herd immunity.
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 month ago
EierVonSatan
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Seven day average for daily tests has remained pretty stable since about mid April.

This reduction has been predicted and been attributed to the vaccination program as well as growing herd immunity.
Hard to believe, given the amount of testing that was taking place in schools before the break up. I've seen those figures.

I think the sharpness of the reduction has surprised many, and since the vaccine doesn't provide true immunity in many cases the argument around herd immunity is moot.
Last edited by EierVonSatan; 1 month ago
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My assumption has been the increase was the result of many people mixing indoors for the euros and now the weathers been nicer more people have been spending time outdoors so there’s been less transmission??
harlz_chalamet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
My assumption has been the increase was the result of many people mixing indoors for the euros and now the weathers been nicer more people have been spending time outdoors so there’s been less transmission??
i agree. they said that there is going to be another wave during sept-dec (i'm guessing because of back to school and weather maybe)
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's a two week lag in cases, we're not seeing the effect of the relaxations yet.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just wait till mid August.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harlz_chalamet)
... as soon as the restrictions have been lifted and literally no one is wearing masks anymore?
i don't get it
surely, it should be increasing instead?
So many answers for this:
The effect of Release day will really only impact the data in another ten days’ time; also, fewer people are testing; also, fewer people are reporting their results; also, more people are removing the app; also, the vaccinations are effective. So many variables.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yet more of the covid doom cult praying and wishing for death.

As a side note - we do more testing than probably all of Europe put together. Our infection numbers, if put into the context of any other country would be ten times smaller at least.

We're doing great. I know people don't want to hear it - but that's the truth.
harlz_chalamet
Rep:
?
(Original post by Trinculo)

As a side note - we do more testing than probably all of Europe put together. Our infection numbers, if put into the context of any other country would be ten times smaller at least.

why wouldn't people want to know that we are doing great?
i've never been so glad about the cases going down. but i have heard that the cases will rise again in September
parmezanne
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

i agree i think people have unfortunately (and understandably!) got subconsciously addicted to the narrative that covid must persist in ruining our lives.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Sadly this is true. I honestly think that some people have become slightly institutionalised over the past year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (360)
84.11%
No (68)
15.89%

Watched Threads