The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to quit a summer job?

I was hired for a summer job because the company gets busy towards the end of the summer holidays. I’ve been there for almost 2 weeks now but figured that the job just isn’t for me. However the contract has the date which the temporary positions is meant to be over and is around 2 months from now, so does that mean I’m not allowed to leave until then??
Am I allowed to leave a summer temporary job just as I would be able to leave any other permanent job??
Reply 1
Original post by elizabethxo
I was hired for a summer job because the company gets busy towards the end of the summer holidays. I’ve been there for almost 2 weeks now but figured that the job just isn’t for me. However the contract has the date which the temporary positions is meant to be over and is around 2 months from now, so does that mean I’m not allowed to leave until then??
Am I allowed to leave a summer temporary job just as I would be able to leave any other permanent job??

Yes, you just need to check what notice period you need to give. If you have only been there 2 weeks are you still in your probationary period? You may not need to actually give any notice if so. Have you signed a contract?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Talon
Yes, you just need to check what notice period you need to give. If you have only been there 2 weeks are you still in your probationary period? You may not need to actually give any notice if so. Have you signed a contract?

Not OP but looking for advice on this too - how do you ‘send in notice’. Do you have to write a letter ? If so, what do you say. And how do you send this letter if there’s no online system/ don’t know your managers email. It’s my first retail job and I am planning on ending it a couple weeks before the contract ends.
Reply 3
It needs to be written, otherwise they can always say they didn't get it. Write a letter and give it to your manager, or send it in the post if you don't see them.
Original post by Talon

Yes I signed a contract and it says:

“Notice from the company to the employee or the employee to the company outside the probationary period is:

Service: -------- Notice:
Over 4 weeks - 1 week
Over 2 years -- 2 weeks
Over 3 years -- 3 weeks

Soo what does this mean? Does this mean that I have to work there for at least 4 weeks before i can quit and then give 1 weeks notice??
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Yes I signed a contract and it says:

“Notice from the company to the employee or the employee to the company outside the probationary period is:

Service: -------- Notice:
Over 4 weeks - 1 week
Over 2 years -- 2 weeks
Over 3 years -- 3 weeks

Soo what does this mean? Does this mean that I have to work there for at least 4 weeks before i can quit and then give 1 weeks notice??

No, I would read this as the probationary period is 4 weeks and you can quit immediately. I'm not sure if the statutory period applies, but it is 1 week which is only polite anyway.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Talon
No, I would read this as the probationary period is 4 weeks and you can quit immediately. I'm not sure if the statutory period applies, but it is 1 week which is only polite anyway.

Okay thanks. So does that mean at the end of my shift I can just hand in my letter and quit immediately since i'm still in the probationary period? It sounds harsh but the thought of having to work there for an extra week whilst the team members know I'm quitting makes me feel awkward, i'd rather quit and never have to see them again to avoid any questions they might have lol
Reply 7
Okay thanks. So does that mean at the end of my shift I can just hand in my letter and quit immediately since i'm still in the probationary period? It sounds harsh but the thought of having to work there for an extra week whilst the team members know I'm quitting makes me feel awkward, i'd rather quit and never have to see them again to avoid any questions they might have lol

Having just looked it up, you only need to give notice if you have been there for a month, so you are good to just resign without working any more shifts.
Original post by Talon
Having just looked it up, you only need to give notice if you have been there for a month, so you are good to just resign without working any more shifts.

Thank you! I appreciate your help :smile:

Yes, you are allowed to leave. If the job isn't for you then it isn't for you.
Just check your contract to what (of any) notice you are required to give.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending